108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: GVRP on 5920

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete W
Valued Contributor

GVRP on 5920

Just noticed that GVRP does not seem to be available on the 5920 (CMW710-R2208P01). Does anyone know whether this is the case, or is there a GVRP compatible/equivalent protocol that I'm missing.

Pete

10 REPLIES 10
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

MVRP is the successor to GVRP, but i can't find any reference to either protocol in the 5920 manuals. This seems like a gross oversight - maybe you'll have more luck: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12883&prodSeriesId=5221896
Regards,
Paul
Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor
Solution

GVRP is not currently on any of the Comware 7 boxes. Like Paul says, MVRP is the successor to GVRP; it will be available in Comware 7 before the end of the year.

Pete W
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your response.

Pete

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

I got an early firmware for the 5900 in October, and MVRP is included. I ran it on a network with GVRP, and it worked exactly as expected! There is a GVRP backward compatible mode, although MVRP seemed to work OK before I discovered that. Some sample config below (I forgot to keep any sample output, sorry).

#
 mvrp global enable
 mvrp gvrp-compliance enable
#
#
interface Bridge-Aggregation1
 description Link to Core
 port link-type trunk
 port trunk permit vlan all
 port trunk pvid vlan 930
 mvrp enable
#

I like using the "forbid" statements in ProCurve (example below), but I'm not sure if there is an equivalent in the Comware OS. It is handy for preventing propagation of VLANs out specific ports/aggregation groups.

vlan 3128
   name "Site 128"
   tagged E1-E2
   forbid D23,F1,Trk1-Trk4
   exit

You can also use the learn/block commands on an interface, but that is not as granular.

interface D23
   unknown-vlans block
   tagged vlan 2101
   untagged vlan 930
   no snmp-server enable traps link-change
   spanning-tree root-guard
   exit

switch01(eth-D24)# unknown-vlans ?
 learn                 Learn new VLANs.
 block                 Ignore new VLANs.
 disable               Ignore all GVRP packets.

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

a difference between comware and provision is the fact that on comware, the vlan must be in the port trunk permitted vlan list, before it will be announced/accepted by MVRP/GVRP.

So if you want to prevent a vlan from being learned/announced, simpy remove it via

int g1/0/1

undo port trunk permit vlan 100

And it will not be learned/announced through MVRP.

Best regards,Peter.

DanRojas
Occasional Contributor

im work on 10500 with 10500-CMW710-R2105 an this protocol is not available...

do you have any recommendation??

regrats.

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

Hi,

2105 is the first comware 7 release for 10500, not all protocols were available for this release yet.

1XXX releases are comware5, 2xxx releases are comware7.

So the next update should fix this.

You may want to contact HP support, they should be able to tell you when to expect it,

Best regards,Peter

Ru55
Occasional Visitor

Hi Richard

I am currently in the same situation, we are working with a 5900af and also require GVRP/MVRP are you able to let me know where I could obtain the early release firmware that you are talking about?

Many thanks

Russ

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

www.hp.com/support/networking -->

https://h10145.www1.hp.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JC772A

The 5900 I used is not available, and since somebody else did the upgrade, I don't have the FW files to check the version. The config file says "version 7.1.045, ESS 2305", so it looks like the ones on the support page are not the same as the early access one yet.

Speak to HP support for early access.