Comware Based
1753672 Members
5423 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help with setting up A5120-EL (JG236A)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Launceston Church Gramm
Occasional Advisor

Help with setting up A5120-EL (JG236A)

Can I start off by saying how much I hate trying to configure this switch compared to the far easier ProCurve range (3800's, 2910's, 5404's etc.,) - urgh!

So I've spent the last five hours of my life trying to get this peice of junk up and running and are getting nowhere.  Obviously I'm mostly to blame as I'm not familiar with the CLI (it's 2015 people, seriously).  Apologies, I'm just a wee bit frustrated at the moment.

Okay, so back to this switch, here are the commands I've issued so far;

system-view

interface vlan-interface 1

ip address 10.0.0.36 255.255.255.0

quit

local-user admin

service-type telnet

authorization-attribute level 3

password simple admin

quit

http enable

I have then gone to the web interface, browsed to the IP and got to the logon page.  Enterted the credentials and then it shows me a stark white page with the following text;

HP A5120-24G-PoE+ EI Switch with 2 Interface Slots Software Version 5.20 en ab210000 Save Help Logout User has no privilege. Are you sure to save the current configuration? HP A5120-24G-PoE+ EI Switch with 2 Interface Slots Software Version 5.20 ie 0 0 admin admin 3

...yep, annoyed.

I have also tried doing everything I need to do through the CLI but it's fairly non-intuitive - in fact, unless you KNOW all the commands and what commands you need then there's really little point!  I've got about 50 browser windows with little forum replies and things saying how to do various things, it's really frustrating.

Basically I'm trying to get this setup as an edge switch in a managed network (I can run a ProCurve switch up in about 2 minutes no problems).  We have 3 vlans required on this switch so I need to setup a trunk port that is untagged on the default vlan and tagged on the others.  Then I need to set my ports up untagged on specific vlans for the clients.  I don't need any layer 3 routing etc., I just need to specify my default gateway as 10.0.0.2 which is our core switch.  That's it, pretty basic need but PITA to setup on this thing - I hope someone can help!

By the way, I tried resetting this switch (using the command line) it holds on to some config and doesn't do a proper factory reset.  I have also tried accessing the reset function through the boot menu but there is no option to do so.

I only need the switch as an ancient 3com switch failed (it only has a handful of users attached to it) - we've ordered Extreme Summit X440's as a permanent solution but cannot wait for the delivery.

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro
Solution

In order to get the web to work you need to grant that privilege to your admin user.  From system mode, do the local-user admin command and then service-type.  Telnet will only get you to the CLI.  You need to enable WEB to turn on the web privilege for the user.

If you want to do file transfers you need to turn that privilege on as well.  On my 5120, I see the following options:

[HP-luser-ssh]service-type ?
ftp                 FTP service type
lan-access LAN-ACCESS service type
portal          Portal service type
ssh               Secure Shell service type
telnet          TELNET service type
terminal     TERMINAL service type
web              Web service type

You would also need to enable the servers for those features individually... ftp server, ssh server, sftp server.

We also create a separate ssh user for secure communication to the switch.  You might want to do that as well.  Just make sure that you generate the local keys for it.  You only need to do that once.  Also, you will need to set the ssh user using that command to enable ssh usage on a per account basis.

You can search the HP web site to find all of the documentation for the 5120.  There are configuration guides in addition to command guides available to help you configure the features that you want.

Try this URL to find the information that you might need on the 5120...  HP 5120 EI Documentation

To reset to factory defaults, use the reset saved-configuration command and when you reboot, DO NOT save the current configuration when it asks.

Just as an FYI... it is always helpful to know what version of the Comware software you are running so that we can help more.

Good luck!

David

I work for HPE in Aruba Technical Support
VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

BTW... on the web login screen... it will timeout if not responded to in a reasonable amount of time.  If it has been sitting without you logging in, you can refresh the "verify code" by clicking on the code and it will generate a new one for you.

David

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

This would also be useful. It is a doc that describes the commands required to accomplish a task on a ProVision switch, a Comware 5 & 7 switch and a cisco switch side by side: https://h30590.www3.hp.com/product/HP+Networking+and+Cisco+CLI+Reference+Guide+-+Version+3-PDF-15901

Launceston Church Gramm
Occasional Advisor

Thankyou David & Eric for your assistance.

David,

I ran that reset command again and I think, like you indicated, I must have said yes to saving the config rather than no, so I was able to successfully reset the switch. 

It wasn't too far behind on the firmware but I also updated this to the most current (including the bootloader) once I worked out how to get around the limited flash memory.  After upgrading and rebooting I re-ran the commands I listed previously and then went to IE11, the web interface then loaded the following text;

{ }

Not real helpful!  Before going back to the config I thought I should double-check it in Chrome and sure enough, the page loaded and I could log in - so it obviously doesn't play nice with IE. 

From there it didn't take too much longer to setup my VLANs, fibre trunk port and do all the copper port vlan assisgnments through the GUI (I work better with pretty pictures rather than trying to figure out 560 page CLI reference guide).  I now have a working edge switch and no longer receiving a phone call every 5 minutes about how the "internet is down".

Thanks again for your help, looking forward to our Extreme X440's turning up (although I do like the telnet interface on the ProCurves the best)!

Cheers!

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Glad you are all set.  IE 11 has been problematic.  Did you try turning on the compatibility modes for the older versions?  Sometimes that helps.  I still have to run IE 8 because of old web apps that don't let me upgrade!

Good luck!

Regards,

David

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I've been having all sorts of browser issues recently.

As VoIP-Buddy says, compatibility mode is your friend (Tools->Compatibility View settings).

Also, I've had to add some devices' IP addresses into IE as "Trusted Sites".

Launceston Church Gramm
Occasional Advisor

@VoIP-Buddy wrote:

Glad you are all set.  IE 11 has been problematic.  Did you try turning on the compatibility modes for the older versions?  Sometimes that helps.  I still have to run IE 8 because of old web apps that don't let me upgrade!

Good luck!

Regards,

David

I didn't try compatibility mode only because it seemed like the web server itself was borked, I have accessed this model switch in IE11 before so I wasn't expecting any problems on that front - now I know!

Thanks again!

David A.

Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

Personally I would advice you to NOT use the web-gui and instead learn how to use the CLI (either through console or even better through ssh).

Because thats how you end up anyway in case of a major malfunction.

Also configuring an A5120 isnt that hard if you take your time to dig through the manual or at least read the HP Comware Hardening Guide...

VoIP-Buddy
HPE Pro

Apachez,

I think you missed the point.  This is only a temporary solution as they had an old 3Com switch that died.  He needed this up quickly as users were impacted.  They are waiting for an Extreme Summit switch as the permanent solution.

For quick and dirty, the WEB Gui works fine.

Regards,

David