108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to get users name , IP and hostnames on all connected devices

SOLVED
Go to solution
Samibo

How to get users name , IP and hostnames on all connected devices

I Have HP Comware 5130

Is there a way to display all the devices connected to the switch ( user name , IP and hostname). ?

In summary which uses the ports of  switch in real time.

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6
Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hello!

Since you mentioned usernames, do you use dot1x or mac-authentication for the connected users?

Are you looking for a Web GUI output summary or CLI output?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Samibo

Hello!

I use dotx1 for the connected users

I am looking CLI output 

Thanks Ivan_B

Ivan_B
HPE Pro

Hello Samibo!

AFAIK, all you have are three commands - "display dot1x connection ...",  "display dot1x mac-address ..." and "display port-security mac-address security" commands. First two have plenty of options, hopefully one or a combination of these can provide the information your are looking for. More details can be found in the Security Command Reference guide available here - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00017793en_us

Also, be sure to check the release notes of the latest s/w version here - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00094869en_us , section "Software Feature Changes", page 117. Since the latest official guide is for 32xx release, all recent new features and changes from 32xx till the last 3506P02 release are listed there.

Hope it helps!

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Samibo

Hi Ivan_B

Whith "display dot1x connection" I have the user name and the mac address of his computer.

The combination of the commands fail to grive Hostename and IP address of the computer.

I'w  search on  the Security Command Reference guide  if  i can found it 

Thanks 

Ivan_B
HPE Pro
Solution

I am afraid you have unrealistic expectations about this switch, demanding features that are not really typical for this kind of devices.

Since we speak about dot1x, what switch can learn from EAPoL is the identity (it is the username), then it sends a RADIUS request to the server populating identity and the Calling-Station attribute (MAC address of the supplicant) and basically that's it. Even if then there is a tunneled EAP between the supplicant and the server, like EAP-TLS, still switch won't be able to extract IP and hostname from that conversation, even if it could - they simply are not there. And switch doesn't care much about client's IP for the cotrolling access of the authenticated and authorized lan client, as port security feature responsible for that works with MAC addresses, not IP.

You can find MAC-to-IP records by exploring ARP table, why not check DHCP server leased IPs (if your switch is DHCP server, then 'display dhcp server ip-in-use' will give you that information), check DHCP relay information (by 'display dhcp relay client-information' if your switch is a relay and you have configured 'dhcp relay client-information record' command on it)... But I have absolutely no idea how a switch can store IP-to-Hostnames records, maybe with one exception - unless it is configured as a DNS proxy and if hosts use the switch as DNS server, you will see some records in its cache by 'display dns host ip' command, but I wouldn't rely on it so much as cache is a cache and it has dynamic nature and some records will be expiring and disappearing from there.

To be honest, seems like you need a full-blown monitoring system or even network admission control system for your needs that has a lot of intelligence inside and can collect data from many sources and correlate it. IMC's NTA module seems to be one of solutions needed, maybe Clearpass... 

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Samibo

Hi Ivan_B ,

Thanks for your availability.

I'w check an other ways to get this informations .

Thanks