5904 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-3com-H3C-Huawei relationships

damima
Advisor

hp-3com-H3C-Huawei relationships

Hello,

I will appreciate if somebody put some light in to these relationships since it is a bit unclear to many customers. My understanding that HP purchased 3Com with all it's assets including assets in H3C. For some time H3C web was not accessible if I remember right but now looks they are live and kicking. 

Pls, share some info ...

Thank you,

Damir

9 REPLIES 9
Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

As far as I heard: H3C was a company owned by 3Com and Huawei. Then 3Com bought Huawei's shares in H3C and became the only owner of H3C. Then HP bought 3com so they also acquired H3C and Tippingpoint.

You will find additional information on wikipedia (search 3Com)

damima
Advisor

Make sense. But why is H3C still alive and 3com isn't?

Justin_Goldberg
Valued Contributor

How is it possible for a non-chinese company to own more than 50% of a chinese company? Or was h3c bought by 3Com china?
manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

H3C was a joint-venture of Huawei and 3Com (50%/50%). Then in 2007 3Com bought 90% of the shares. Now H3C is an autonomous port of HP. In China the H3C-Products are still selled under the brand H3C, because it is well-known in China and chinese people will not accept an american brand (HP). By end of this year the company H3C will be integrationed in HP, but the brand H3C will stay for the Asian region.

An an additional information: H3C and HP braned devices are not compatible with each other. Unfortunately...

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
damima
Advisor

@manuel.bitzi wrote:

H3C was a joint-venture of Huawei and 3Com (50%/50%). Then in 2007 3Com bought 90% of the shares. Now H3C is an autonomous port of HP. In China the H3C-Products are still selled under the brand H3C, because it is well-known in China and chinese people will not accept an american brand (HP). By end of this year the company H3C will be integrationed in HP, but the brand H3C will stay for the Asian region.

An an additional information: H3C and HP braned devices are not compatible with each other. Unfortunately...

you wonder why HP is doing bad on stock exchange :-). 

br

Manuel

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

HP networking devices from both the ProCurve and H3C stables absolutely are compatible and do work together - that is the great thing about open standards! Readers may have missed the story about HP converting their main datacentres to be Cisco-free: supporting 320000 users worldwide with HP Networking (H3C and ProCurve). The H3C and ProCurve CLIs may be different, but that is what management tools like IMC smooth out. (How many Cisco CLIs are there now...?)

The H3C brand name will remain for China - it is bigger than Cisco, and the brand recognition is too important to lose. All of the newest switches in the Comware/H3C/A-Series stable now have HP branding (physical and firmware) outside China.

manuel.bitzi
Trusted Contributor

Sorry for missunderstanding. I mean HP & H3C braned devices aren't compatible concerning Stacking, IRF, Software, etc (although it's the same hardware). But if they are plugged together ober ethernet the work wonderful because of open standards.

br

Manuel

H3CSE, MASE Network Infrastructure [2011], Switzerland
Davy Priem
Regular Advisor

Bigest probem are the SFP's that aren't exchangeable between procurve and H3C-switches. Some procurve SFP's work on H3C though. No H3C SFP's work on procurve. 

damima
Advisor

I don't want to mention ripping off on those SFPs :-)))))). There are Procurve compatible SFP on market for USD 20 to USD 40 for 10km SFP.