Comware Based
1748223 Members
4611 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Server Load Balance as Cisco IOS Server Load Balancing (IOS SLB)

SOLVED
Go to solution
FabianoCh
Advisor

HP Server Load Balance as Cisco IOS Server Load Balancing (IOS SLB)

Hi Guys... Anyone kwnows if HP switches has a feature like Cisco IOS Server Load Balancing (IOS SLB)  ?

From Cisco's site:

"The SLB feature is a Cisco IOS-based solution that provides IP server load balancing. Using the IOS SLB feature, the network administrator defines a virtual server that represents a group of realservers in a cluster of network servers known as a server farm. In this environment the clients are configured to connect to the IP address of the virtual server. The virtual server IP address is configured as a loopback address, or secondary IP address, on each of the real servers. When a client initiates a connection to the virtual server, the IOS SLB function chooses a real server for the connection based on a configured load-balancing algorithm."

Has HP something like that ?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

All HP Routers including the Virtual Services Router with Comware 7 support service load balancing. If you download the VSR with 60-day trial you can easily test the functionality.

Download VSR

FabianoCh
Advisor

I have a HP 12500 series. You are telling me that al HP routers support server load balance ? Is that correct ? I search the manual and found nothing. Could you tell me more ? Thanks.
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor
Solution

If you lookup the Router manual High Availability Configuration Guide you will find the section Server Load Balancing including NAT/SNAT/DNAT mode. I don't think the 12500 has this capability because it is a switing router. Cisco IOS SLB is also typically supported on routers like 7200 and Cat 65xx depending on the used supervisor. Depending on the needed performance The VSR and MSR2000/3000/4000 and HSR6800 can deliver server loadbalancing. If you need more performance and functionality F5 and Kemp are the recommended Server Loadbalancers.

hopefully the clarification helps.

FabianoCh
Advisor

Thanks