1752730 Members
5636 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: IRF/STACK ports HPE 1950?

vandric

IRF/STACK ports HPE 1950?

Hi!
I have project next month in another country where I will have to configure 2 x HP 1950-24G-2SFP+-2XGT in stack

I wont be able to touch switches until I get there. All I can do for now is read about it on Internet.

So I need help about what are 2xgt ports are and what ports can I use for stacking? 
Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

The most updated HPE OfficeConnect 1950 User Guide is available here (There is a Chapter about IRF).

Please note that your two XGT (2XGT) represents two 10Gbps copper (RJ45) interfaces (See QuickSpecs first link above), 2SFP+ represents two 10Gbps slots for SFP/SFP+ Transceivers [*], those type of slots are generally used for interconnecting Fiber Optics links via SFP/SFP+ Short/Long (SR/LR) Range Transceivers or by using few meters long (generally below 5 meters) DAC Cables.

IRF logical ports can be configured with physical 10Gbps member ports so you should use SFP+ Transceivers (if you have Fiber Optic links), DAC Cables (if you want use them and Switches are near each others) or XGT copper (RJ45) ports (for Ethernet Cat. 6 certified cabling)...in any case you are going to have 10Gbps interfaces involved to form IRF ports.

[*] Note that both SFP+ slots are also compatible with slower SFP 1Gbps Transceivers (so not capable of 10Gbps as SFP+ ones), those SFP Transceivers are not supported for being used on IRF member ports to form IRF logical ports).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Brian_Dsouza
HPE Pro

Hi @vandric ,

@parnassus has clarified most of it very well and the points he mentioned are very critical.

I think @parnassus attached the quickspecs, no problem please find the User Guide HERE that he was talking about, refer page 24 onward.

Give special attention to the physical port selection section "Stack Physical Interfaces".

Bottomline is, you cant use 1Gig ports. Use either 10Gig XGT or SFP+ ports for stacking. The difference and usage guidelines are as outlined by @parnassus.

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Best regards,

- Brian

Accept or Kudo