New Discussion

Re: Layer 3 bridge aggregation

SOLVED
Go to solution
IsmailPatel
Occasional Advisor

Layer 3 bridge aggregation

Hi

I am trying to configure a layer 3 aggregate interface on a HP A5800 but cannot find the command to enable this.  I am expecting to use the "interface route-aggregate" command but this is not available. I can create layer 2 aggregates using the "interface bridge-aggregate" command

Many thanks in advance

Ismail

8 REPLIES 8
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Bridge Aggregation is level 2 only.  I have never seen bridging done above Level 2.  It is usually on the VLAN level only.   Routing between VLANs is done on the routing table or policy based routing. 

IsmailPatel
Occasional Advisor

Many thanks for the reply. I am looking for the cisco equivalent of a layer 3 etherchannel which is available on the H3C platform but missing from HP. As below. Thanks

interface route-aggregation

Syntax

interface route-aggregation { interface-number | interface-number.subnumber }

undo interface route-aggregation { interface-number | interface-number.subnumber }

View

System view

Default level

2: System level

Parameters

interface-number: Specifies a Layer 3 aggregate interface number.

interface-number.subnumber: Specifies a subinterface of a Layer 3 aggregate interface. The interface-number argument specifies the main interface number. The subnumber argument specifies the subinterface number, which ranges from 1 to 4093 and is separated from the main interface number by a dot (.).

Description

Use the interface route-aggregation command to create a Layer 3 aggregate interface or subinterface and enter Layer 3 aggregate interface or subinterface view.

Use the undo interface route-aggregation command to remove a Layer 3 aggregate interface or subinterface.

Upon creation of a Layer 3 aggregate interface, a Layer 3 aggregation group numbered the same is created automatically. Removing the Layer 3 aggregate interface also removes the Layer 3 aggregation group. At the same time, the member ports of the aggregation group, if any, leave the aggregation group.

Removing a Layer 3 aggregate subinterface does not affect the state of the main interface and the corresponding aggregation group.

The switch operating in a non-standard working mode does not support Layer 3 aggregation interfaces. For more information about system working modes, see Fundamentals Configuration Guide.

Examples

# Create Layer 3 aggregate interface Route-Aggregation 1 and enter its view.

<Sysname> system-view

[Sysname] interface route-aggregation 1

[Sysname-Route-Aggregation1]

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor
Solution

Did you upgrade the firmware and software on the switches?  If yes, HP probably stripped the H3C functionality out of the switches.  The do it to alot of their products.   You have H3C version and HP version of those switches.  They buy RAID controllers from LSI.  LSI might have 200 options in the setup.  HP has 2.   This is very common with HP.  It is like OEMs have precedence over the rest of us. 

IsmailPatel
Occasional Advisor

The switches are badged as HP and came shipped with the HP software. It is a shame they took out a very useful feature. will need to fallback to creating a bridged interface and using a vlan. Not ideal but will work. or might even go back to Cisco switches :-)

many thanks

Ismail

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would check the Layer 3 IP manuals first.   Make sure you upgraded all the firmware.   The benefit of VLANs are isolating traffic inside subnets.   I setup 5 VLANs and use policy based routing to connect them to multiple ASA-5520 firewall ports.

aali
Frequent Advisor

Ismail,

I am on the same boat where I need to aggregate two  Layer III interfaces, but not avaialbe anymore.  If I were to go the vlan route then can you provide the config sample how to enable this.  I am assuming the followings:

Interface vlan-interface X

ip address x.x.x.x /xx

-----------------------------------------do I add bridge-aggregation here. 

Sorry, I am not physically at the location where the switches are.

Thanks

IsmailPatel
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Apologies for the delay in response.

You are correct in that you need to configure a brige-aggregation interface and put your two physical interfaces into it. The agregate is defined as access ports ( i.e. not trunks ). Once this is configured you use interface vlanxxx and port he IP address here.

Not ideal but works.

With regards to previous comments, a route-aggregate would be a useful feature to have as this is the best way to connect two devices together ( especially different vendor ) with a clear L2 domain demargation

Kind regards

Ismail

aali
Frequent Advisor

No Worries!  Thanks of letting me know.