5324 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Layer 3 - link-mode route

computard
Occasional Contributor

Layer 3 - link-mode route

Hello Everyone,

I have been having difficulties correctly configuring my network. Currently my ports are configured as follows..

port link-mode bridge 

port link-type trunk

port trunk permit 1-20, 255 

port trunk pvid vlan 255

I have two ESXi hosts 10.1.255.2/24 and 10.1.255.3

On the first host I have a Repo server configured 10.1.255.14/24

On the second I have a host in a port group for vlan 1 10.1.1.2/24

With routes put in on the vms themselves I can ping around without issues, ssh between servers, but am unable to pull down yum updates traffic on essensially any port doesn't appear to be getting through.  Do I need to have it configured with link-mode route instead? I have a basic understanding of vlan tagging, but not sure if maybe packets are being being dropped or what the issue is. Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated, as I am new to this and have never built a setup from the ground up. Thank you so much!

2 REPLIES 2
Rajendra_Jena
HPE Pro

Hello,

As you are saying you are able to ping and do ssh beetween severs then I am very much sure there is no issue in the network. If there is any routing or other network issue then you wont able to ping or ssh beetween servers.

You may need to check application for yum updates issue.

Best Regards,
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

How did you set the vSwitch Standard (VSS) which is using that uplink interface (PVID = 255 means untagged ingress traffic - incoming into that switch's port - will be internally tagged with VLAN id 255 but egressing that tag will be removed and so outgoing packets are without tag, untagged).

The permit 1-20, 255 means you're passing (and permitting in both directions) tagged traffic with VLAN id 1 - VLAN id 20 (range 1-20) to VMware's VSS.

At this point one expects that your VSS has twenty ones Port Groups (one with each one VLAN Tag: a Port Group with VLAN id 1, a Port Group with VLAN id 2 and so on up to VLAN id 20 and also VLAN id 255). VMs should then be set to use one of those Port Groups for each vNIC you set on them (but here YMMV because each VM could have a very particular configuration that, here, is not so relevant).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner