4924 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Adding new Storage enclosure in existing MSA1500

Fenny_1
Super Advisor

Adding new Storage enclosure in existing MSA1500

Hi all,
I have MSA1500 with 2 storage enclosure including 28 HDD's. Now i want to add one more Storage enclosure. I need to know what things i need to order for this upgrade. I dont have any free SCSI card in the existing controller.
Other than that, can this new storage enclosure be added online or i need to restart the controllers.
Waiting for a quick feedback.
3 REPLIES 3
pablo_garcia
Frequent Advisor

Hi Fenny,

Do you have 2 MSA30 or MSA20? Each SCSI I/O module has 2 Ultra320 ports (SATA only & SATA/SCSI)on it. You can connect 2 MSA20 on each SCSI Module (You use both ports) or one only MSA30 (connect to SATA/SCSI port).
If you have one SCSI Module only, you have to buy other one.
This module can NOT be add online. You have to stop the servers and the MSA, because this module has one id SCSI and it could set a conflict.

Pablo Garcia
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

The MSA30 SCSI disk enclosure that is used with the MSA150 can be either single or dual ported. The MSA1500 can support up to four of the single ported MSA30 enclosures for SCSI drives, but only two of the dual ported enclosures.
Mom 6
Shweta Verma
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Since you have 28 drives, I assume that you have currently 2 MSA30s.
You can install a maximum of four SCSI I/O (modules/cards) in MSA1500 , where each SCSI I/O Module contains two ports (one is a "SATA/SCSI port" and the other one is a "SATA only" port).
This means that you can have maximum of 4 single bus MSA30s each connected to a SATA/SCSI port on each SCSI I/O Module or you can have 2 dual bus MSA30s .
Also, You can have a 8 MSA20s connected to 8 ports on 4 SCSI I/O Modules in a fully populated configuration.

Here the idea is that MSA30 can be connected only to a "SATA/SCSI" port, but MSA20 can be connected to either a "SATA/SCSI" port or a "SATA only" port . The only limitation we have is that we cannot connect an MSA30 and MSA20 on the same SCSI I/O Module.MSA20 and MSA30 on the same SCSI I/O Module is not a supported configuration.

Shweta