108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot see disks in MSA500 or MSA500G2

SOLVED
Go to solution
billybobtanner
Occasional Contributor

Cannot see disks in MSA500 or MSA500G2

We have 2 versions of the MSA500 (G1 and G2) connected to the HP DL380 via the onboard SCSI cards in these servers. All is well with this setup.

We want to connect the MSAs to different servers (either HP or Dell servers with either Adaptec or LSI Ultra360 SCSI cards). When we try this the boot up screen on the servers detects the controllers in the MSA but that's it. We cannot see the disks nor can we access the MSA with the HP Array Controller software.

Is there something we need to do on the MSA's before we connect them to different hardware?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Adam
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Adam:

I've always had to connect my MSA500's to a Smart Array Controller. I don't remember if they worked on a non SA card, but can't see why they shouldn't unless it is not supported.

The MSA500 Multipath Controller kits always came with a Smart Array Controller, don't recall a standard SCSI card option.

Do you have a Smart Array to test in the other servers?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
billybobtanner
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. To clarify The MSA500s have 2 controller in the top part of the unit is this what you mean by the Smart Array Controller?

We have plugged a SCSI cable from the connectors on the back of one of these controllers into the SCSI card in the back of the servers.

As I said on the original HP Server it works fine and you can use HP Array Controller software to configure the array. On the new server it detects the controllers plugged into the SCSI card but that's all it can see. When you load up the Array Config software after Win2003 or 2008 has booted up it just says that 'ACU didn't detect any supported controllers in your system'.

Cheers
Adam
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, I meant a Smart Array SCSI RAID Controller that fits into your server (like a standard SCSI card).

The DL380 has a built in Smart Array Controller. 5i or 6i in older servers.

The Card usualy shipped with the MSA500 multipath kit was a SmartArray 641.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
billybobtanner
Occasional Contributor

Hi Stephen

You have been a big help for turning my head to the Storage Array Controller cards as I had tunnel vision with the standard SCSI cards and why they weren't working. I've checked and you are correct about the DL380 having a 5i. It also had a 642 card in there as well.

We actually found a spare 642 card in the stores and installed this in a Dell and all works fine.

Cheers
Adam