Disk Enclosures
1751856 Members
5493 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disks problem with MSA 1000 storage

Disks problem with MSA 1000 storage

I have an MSA1000 storage that is having disk problems. After rebooting the storage, I discovered that 3 out of the Five disks have failed. In fact, the fourth disk hangs the storage from completing the POST TEST.

It is a dual controller storage, with five disks in a volume.

What do I do to recover the storage abck with the data intact.

Regards.

Gbenga
5 REPLIES 5
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Gbenga,

This sounds serious. If you had RAID 0+1 and a hot spare, you maybe extremely lucky - do you know what the RAID level was and how it was configured before this disaster ?

(If someone presented that config to me I would guess RAID 5 was most likely - in which case it is a reload of the data from your backup - Sorry :o(

Mike.
John Kufrovich
Honored Contributor

Gbenga,
For some reason, the drives failed to respond to the MSA. There have been several Customer Advisories for HDD FW. Please check your HDD FW versions.

jk
Tim Hughes_3
Advisor

Are all the disks together on half of the top shelf? I have seen SCSI controller and MSA backplane problems cause a number of disks to appear to have failed. The MAS backplane was replaced and all came back to life with no loss of data,

Tim

Thanks all for your contributions.

The RAID configuration was raid5. I have rereplaced the MSA with another one, putting the controllers and the disks the way they were arranged in the old one into the new one and it still gave the same problem, which eliminates a backplane problem.

When I remove the fourth disk and the fifth disks from the Storage, the systems was able to do the POST TEST but with the volume failed.

What else can be done to retrieve the data?

Thanks.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> What else can be done to retrieve the data?

It sounds very likely that you're going to have to restore your data from tape...

You do have good backups don't you ?

Cheers,

Rob