108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA5000 and Performance

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hermanator
Occasional Contributor

EVA5000 and Performance

Is there a performance gain by seperating out your different size disks into different disk groups?
I understand the benefits of using the same size disks in a diskgroup for Disk Failure Protection reasons, but is there a performance hit by having different size drives within a diskgroup?
Which brings up another question, what about different RPM Drives in the same diskgroup? My older 10k rpm drives are being replaced by 15k rpm drives. I have just been placing them back into the same diskgroup. Thoughts on different RPM speeds within a diskgroup?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

If a disk group has disks of different sizes, the bigger disks will contain more data so on average they will have to perform more I/O operations. This can lead to these drives saturating before the others.

Mixing 10K and 15 drives on a disk group has a similar effect, the 15K drives will do their I/O operations faster, the 10K drives will take a little longer. As the data is distributed among all drives, the slower or bussiest ones influence the maximum IOPS that the disk group can do.
Hermanator
Occasional Contributor

Vcespon, thank you for your response. There is not a lot I can do about the dfferent RPM Drives that I can think of. As our 10k RPM Drives go bad, they get replaced with 15k RPM drives, so I have no choice but to put them back into the same diskgroup. I guess I could wait until I get 8 bad ones and create a 15k rpm diskgroup with the 8, that could take awhile, but then that also takes away spindles from my original diskgroup.

Hmmm?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Think about it in a positive way:

if you replace a 10k RPM disk drive with a 15k RPM one of the same size: the new disk processes I/Os faster, but it does not slow down the whole disk group. The more disks you replace, the faster I/Os get.

Don't understand me wrong:
I don't wish you many bad disk drives ;-)
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Don't create a small disk group.
It's better to have 20x10K + 10x15K for example, on a single disk group.