108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How Do I Store 25 TB of Data?

SOLVED
Go to solution
neil barker
Occasional Advisor

How Do I Store 25 TB of Data?

I need a server/storage solution that is big enough to store up to 25 TB of data that must be readily available. The solution will run on some flavour of Linux and use Oracle 10g. Having only used Proliants I think I need one of the bigger solutions - not sure which is best suited.
8 REPLIES 8
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How Do I Store 25 TB of Data?

Get yourself an HP EVA5000 2C14D with 192 146GB drives.

Do you need 25TB on one server? or split amongst several different servers?

You can also get a fully expanded MSA1500 for 24TB raw storage.

If you need some help designing a SAN, let me know. Is what I do.

As far as "best suited"... Linux/Oracle run great on an EVA. I have many pleased customers. Not sure if it is the best solution, but it works.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Also, be prepared to spend alot of money.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Look at XP range of storage solutions especially XP1024. It is great and cost lot of $$$.

Look at this link:

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/disk_arrays/highend/xp1024/

sks
A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Massimo Bianchi
Honored Contributor

Hi,
25Tb is a very big demand.

First question: are the sensitive data ? Then go for an expensive solution, like EMC Symmetrix, HP XP, IBM Shark. They cost but they deserve the money.

Second question: what is this 25Tb made up of ?
Is it a database, a file server, mailing system ? This can impose guide you, because faster storage system could be required if it is a DB, wherever for file sharing you can go to less expensive hardware: EMC Clarion, HP EVA.

Third: you must also think of an appropriate backup solution: saving 25Tb of data is not easy. Do you have appropriate time-windows ? You may need some split-mirror tecnique.

Just for starting...

HTH,
Massimo
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Server:

If your environment is mid-sized, get a 4-CPU Opteron System...

Storage:

It's a buyers market right now - so you practically can have the biggies "court you". Suggestions: - Hitachi (9900) OR HDS XP (1024), IBM Shark or EMC DMX Series... preference however would be to have an single vendor for both server & storage to avoid "problems" ahead.

I will try to avoid HP's EVA if you can afford the "biggies'...
Hakuna Matata.
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

I'll also throw my support to the HP solutions, EVA or XP.
Either will do a great job for you. A couple of other things to consider.
The EVA at this time only goes up to 35TB, which will meet you current needs. If your dataset is expected to grow, or in the future you may want to take advantage of some of the software features like Business Copy, you'll want to move up to the XP. It can scale up to 149TB.
neil barker
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all of you for your advice - given us plenty of food-for-thought. Current favorite is an XP system as rightly suggested this will allow more expansion.

We are considering starting with a minimal implementation of this to fit the immediate need of the single system that needs at least 25 TB of raw storage and then over time add more systems and expand as required.

Anyone like to offer a ball park cost for an "entry level" XP system?

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I can put you in contact with one of the top Solutions Providers of HP hardware/software. We do business internationally.

If you want, send me an e-mail with your requirements and I will forward it on, steven@ccstechnologies.com

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE