Disk Enclosures
1748179 Members
3856 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to upgrade firmware on Smart Array 3200?

Matt Kaatman
Occasional Advisor

How to upgrade firmware on Smart Array 3200?

I have a DL380 with an onboard smart array controller. The performance was dismal to say the least. So I obtained a Smart Array 3200 and I wanted to update the firmware before putting it into service.

It currently has version 3.08. The windows based firmware upgrade requires you to have a version 4.40 or newer and tells me to use the offline update.

The newest offline update I can find is 3.10. On top of that I can't seem to build the 4 floppies with the 3.10 update from Windows XP Pro.

Any ideas? It would be nice if compaq had a Smart Array 3200 controller page with all the firmwares/etc. I sure can't find it if it exists.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
4 REPLIES 4
RBaker
Valued Contributor

Matt Kaatman
Occasional Advisor

Right, that's the file I was referring to that told me I need to have version 4.40 or newer to use it.

So I need a firmware that will bring me up to version 4.40 so I can use the file you referred me to.
Matt Kaatman
Occasional Advisor

I figured it out...

Long story short, the offline firmware upgrade said it was version 3.10 but it was actually 4.50b.

For anyone else in this situation, here are the steps I took to get it upgraded.

1. I downloaded SP19677 from the compaq site
2. Extracted it to my desktop. WinXP wouldn't let me run the executable even after I tried to force win95 compatibility so I burnt the extracted folder to a CDRW.
3. I then booted a Win98 floppy with cdrom support. Unfortunately the compaq program required 2.88 mb of free disk space. Since my normal HD was formatted NTFS that wouldn't work.
4. I unplugged my HD and plugged in an old one I had laying around. I created a 100 mb fat32 partition and formatted it.
5. I could then run the compaq software and create disk 1 for my smart array 3200 (disks 2-4 are for other controllers)
6. Reboot on the new disk, go through the flash process and walah... 4.50b

If I had my USB pendrive handy it would have saved time as I wouldn't have needed to burn the CDRW or setup the temporary hard drive. Oh well.
Michael Lamczyk

I just obtained an older ML350 with the Smart Array 3200 controller running firmware version 4.16 and would like to upgrade it with current firmware. However, as previously mentioned, the online update requires version 4.40 and I am unable to locate the offline flash utility.

I also downloaded the 7.20 firmware update CD image which does not contain offline flash files for this controller either.

could someone please point me in the proper direction to locate the proper offline flash update for this controller card.

Thanks,
Mike