New Discussion юеВ

Re: msa 60 and two file server

TechAsking
Occasional Contributor

msa 60 and two file server

Hello everybody;

We have below:

- one MSA 60 Dual Domain Disk Enclosure
- two file server (DL 360 G5) with P800 Raid Controller.

We want to connect each file server to MSA 60 and each server will only connect to own disk LUN.For example, MSA 60 has five 300GB SAS Disks.Disk1 and Disk 2 are Raid 1, Disk 3,Disk4 and Disk5 are Raid 5.And server1 mask to Raid1, server2 mask to Raid5.is it possible on MSA 60?

topology that i think is attached.
4 REPLIES 4
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

There are two versions of the MSA60. One is single domain and the other is dual domain. Your drawing shows the dual domain (two I/O controllers)so I assume you are aware of this. Dual domain requires dual ported SAS drives. The topolgy looks wrong to me since you appear to have a group of I/O controllers that connect to no servers. There is a white paper at http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01451157/c01451157.pdf
that may be of some help.
Mom 6
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

What operating system are you using? With the P800 it is single intitiator only, so the one P800 would connect to one side of the MSA's and the other P800 would connect to the other side. From what I see each P800 would see every drive, so you would have to carefully select the drives you want in your RAID group with the ACU to make sure you were not using the same disks on each system. I don't see anything that would prevent you from making a mistake. There would be no path failover. Check the QuickSpecs at http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12627_na/12627_na.pdf
Mom 6
TechAsking
Occasional Contributor

Windows 2003 or windows 2008 will work on. and as far as i understand from that you say, my config that i attached will work properly???
is it right??

another questions:

- MSA 60 has two I/O module and each I/O module has one "in" port and one "out" port."in" port is for server connection, "out" port is for additional disk enclosure, isn't it??

- P800 Raid controller also have two sas port, one is "in" port, other one "out" port.is it right?

Tahnks.
Jake Miller

So just to confirm, two servers can connect to a MSA60 as long as that device has dual I/O modules and the Proliant servers use P800s as in attached diagram.

So would need to keep the LUNs on MSA60 seperate. Basically we want to share the MSA between two servers but not as a cluster.

What about the disks, do I still need dual port? Or can single ports suffice as I dont need redundant paths?