New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 disk drive failures

SOLVED
Go to solution
inex
Super Advisor

MSA1000 disk drive failures

Hi,

Have a customer with a MSA1000 (fw 4.48), single controller, one expansion modul. 146GB disk drives, one windows 2003 server connected. This
configration worked for 4-5 years without problems. Suddenly disk drives started to fail in slot11 of the main shelf. Disk was replaced, 2 weeks later, same thing happened. After 5-6 drives had "failed" in this slot, we replaced
the chassis and the same thing started to happened in slot 7.
Anyone had similar problems?

-inex
6 REPLIES 6
marsh_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

you might want to start with a firmware upgrade to say 5.20 and see if problems persist, if so then another chassis replacement looks like it's on the cards although that's pretty unlucky to have two go. How many failures in slot 7 have you had ?

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

also check firmware for other related bits - hba's, disks etc

HTH

inex
Super Advisor

4-5 failures in each slot. This has been working for a long time and only one windows server is attached and I find it very unlikely that this problem is caused by fw. Even the 2.30 code was very stable.

-inex
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

what does the adu report say ?
was it hp that diagnosed the previous issue and replaced the chassis ?

marsh_1
Honored Contributor

inex,

i know what you are saying about the stability but if you read here :-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751&swItem=co-47103-1&prodNameId=305215&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

you can see that there were a number of issues that this upgrade addressed , sometimes you can operate for years with a bit of hardware or software without hitting one of these problems and then all of a sudden even tiny changes can mean you hit one of those bugs !
it's not necessarily the case here it may well be that you've just got a duff slot in the drive cage - but i'm surprised hp have'nt recommended an upgrade if it was them that saw to this issue prevoiusly.

HTH

inex
Super Advisor

Thanks for help.
I have not run this tool and I agree it's a good thing to upgrade the code just to be sure.
HP has not been involved.

-inex