Disk Enclosures
1752662 Members
5521 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Need a solution allows >32 SAS disks configured as a single volume (drive E:)

faceplant44
Visitor

Need a solution allows >32 SAS disks configured as a single volume (drive E:)

I need a solution which will allow more than 32 SAS disks configured as a single Windows volume (like drive E:).  I am told that the HP P2000 MSA G3 will only address a maximum of 32 disks as a single drive letter when configured RAID 50. 

I am wondering if adding additional stripes will allow me to add an additional 16 disks per stripe? 

My goal is to have an array with 64 disks total RAID 50, partitioned and formatted as a single drive E:

P2000, P4000, P6000?  What is the best way to do this?

Help?

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage to Disk Array. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
faceplant44
Visitor

Re: Need a solution allows >32 SAS disks configured as a single volume (drive E:)

Just found this from HP Spec sheet for the P2000:

• Maximums vary by RAID levels: 2 drive max for RAID level 1; max of 16 drives for RAID levels 0, 3, 5, 6, and 10; max of 32 drives for RAID level 50

So my question remains:  Does HP make any RAID solution which will allow >32 drives in a RAID 50 array?

hvhari
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a solution allows >32 SAS disks configured as a single volume (drive E:)

You can consider higher arrays like P6000 or upcoming 3PAR arrays. These allows a larger number of disks to be part of a group on which you can create raid volumes of your choice. However those arrays does not give the control to users on how many disks from the group are used for a volume. In general all the disks in the group will be utilised for volumes.
Regards,
Hari

If this post was useful , click the Kudos Star on the left side to say Thanks!