Disk Enclosures
1752800 Members
5847 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RAID on 6i - replace failed disk, different SCSI ID?

Jonathon Austin
Occasional Contributor

RAID on 6i - replace failed disk, different SCSI ID?

Hi there,

We have a DL380 G4 with the following:

SA 6i - 2 x 72GB drives in RAID mirror. One logical volume which is the system (C:) drive.

SA 642 - 4 x 300GB drives in RAID 5 with one logical volume which is the D:.

One of the two disks in the volume built on the 6i has failed. HP has attended and replaced the failed disk, but it is appearing as a different SCSI ID to the failed disk.

See the screenshot from ACU - the original two disks were Port 2, SCSI ID 0 and 3. The replacement disk which has gone in the exact same drive bay is appearing as Port 2, SCSI ID 1.

I've upgraded to the latest 6i firmware (2.68) which makes mention of an issue around SCSI ID assigning and dual port disks, however this has not changed the situation at all.

Any suggestions on where to go next? Ideally, I'd like to remove the second failed disk from the array all together which may trigger it to bring the new unassigned disk into the array and start rebuilding the array.

Rebuilding is a big job in terms of man hours and is really my last resort - we have a case open with HP but the server is in Hong Kong (I'm in Australia) and the communication is difficult.

Attached is some screenshots and a dump from ADU.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: RAID on 6i - replace failed disk, different SCSI ID?

> HP has attended and replaced the failed disk

It seems to me that they did not finish their job. What kind of coverage do you have on this server?

Is there a hot spare drive in this server? Is it possible that there was a sparing-out when the failed drive was replaced? Or a sparing-in taking place when the screen shots were taken?
Jonathon Austin
Occasional Contributor

> It seems to me that they did not finish
> their job. What kind of coverage do you
> have on this server?

Standard 4hr response.

Dealing with HP in HKG is difficult due to the language barrier. The tech who attended simply said it was hosed and the array needs to be destroyed and recreated.

> Is there a hot spare drive in this server? > Is it possible that there was a sparing-
> out when the failed drive was replaced? Or > a sparing-in taking place when the screen > shots were taken?

There was no hot spare - it was 2 disks in RAID 1+0. The unassigned disk is the replacement disk that went in the same drive bay.

hishan

i saw this kinds of case much time.as i know,
there are no any soluation on it..