1745914 Members
4343 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smart Array P400 compatible disks

jruddy

Smart Array P400 compatible disks

Hi

I've acquired a SA P400 controller and was hoping to use this in a test pc I am setting up. This is not an HP box but just a self-build job. But I've also tried the card in an HP ML150.

Is it possible to use non-HP disks with the P400 ? I'm sure it's not officially supported but it would be good if it can work.

I've purchased an official HP cable (430479-B21) but the disks are still not recognised - I get an error "No drives detected" on bootup. I've tried a couple of disks I already have but have not bought any new.

I don't want to throw more money at this if it's simply not going to work so if anyone can advise that would be great.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Never tried this.

See if this helps:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12400_div/12400_div.html

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
jruddy

Thanks for your reply.

Yes - I've checked out the product documentation and quickspecs etc and, as expected, it only lists HP disks and there is no mention of using non-HP disks.

I was hoping that someone may have tried using non-HP disks on a P400 and knew if it definitely should or shouldn't work. I know the firmware is likely to be HP specific on the branded disks and the controller looks for this and may not recognise anything else.

Also - forgot to mention that I am trying with standard 3.5" SATA disks with cable mentioned in original post plugged directly into disks (no backplane board etc).

Thanks
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor

Hello.

What you're suggesting should be OK.
I've used the card before but only with HP drives. I'd recommend using all the same HDDs if they are not HP.

I assume you're trying to configure the card and this is where the problem is?

The P400 will not automatically assign drives straight through. Sorry dumb question...but.

The P400 and the cable are designed for what you're using them for.

Trevor.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.
jruddy

Hi

Not sure what you mean by "The P400 and the cable are designed for what you're using them for" ??

I just hoped that I could make use of this now spare card in a test pc.

The P400 was removed from a server as part of an upgrade so the card should be fine. I've also tried another card with the same results. The cable part number was found from HP's web site so should be correct. The drives spin up OK so are getting power.

On booting I do not see the normal F8 P400 bios prompt but do get the logical drive status. This is where I get the "No drives detected message". I'm assuming I don't get the F8 prompt because it's not an HP server.

If I install Windows on a normal IDE or SATA disk (onboard controller) and run the ACU I can see the P400 fine (but no disks) and I've done firmware updates etc on the card and these worked OK.

I know I could buy a "proper" HP disk and it MAY work but these are 2-3 times the price of a generic drive and there's no guarantee it WOULD work.

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

IMHO the controller can only work with known and supported drives, because it is using special firmware features.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James Sp

I am using one with seagate sata drives. They they are in a HP server and the P400 is connected to a backplane - not directly to drives. Maybe the backplane is required? Don't know if it matters but the P400 only does sata at 1.5Gbps so maybe if you are using 3Gbps sata drives you should slow them down to 1.5Gbps? Worth a try. This is usually done with a jumper on the drive.
Guy McNeill
Occasional Advisor

I'm having exactly the same problem to the issue described above. P400 not working on SATA drives (generic). 1x SEAGATE Barracuda 1TB, 2x Hitachi Desktar 7K1000.C

Anyone solved this?

I'm not using backplane either, just SATA Breakout cable direct to hard disks...

Guy