4799 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Storage spaces Dual domain cabling

JohanHelmer
Occasional Advisor

Storage spaces Dual domain cabling

Hi All

I am busy looking at 2012 storage spaces in cluster form.

now i am a little bit confuse by the information there is an therefore also what is possible with HP hardware.

Goal is 4 node cluster with 2 or 4 d2700 arrays. How do i need to connect this?

My idea is every server with a p811 controller connected to one of the dual domain ports on the p2700.

Could someone please look at the idea and comment if i have it correct or what is wrong.

Thanks a lot for helping me.

7 REPLIES 7
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

All documentation I can find only talk about a single server connection. Dual domain here means 2 cables between the single server and the chassis for redundancy.

IMHO you need something like a MSA2040 or StoreVirtual (Lefthand) or even a StoreServe (3PAR) for your needs - a "real" array.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
JohanHelmer
Occasional Advisor

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your reply.

please see the folowing document page 6.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay_ws_BI&spf_p.rid_kbDocDisplay=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&spf_p.rst_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01451157-2%257CdocLocale%253D&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

As far as i understand this should be posible only i dont know if more than 2 servers is posible.

the goal is not to use a 3par or other type of SAN as i want to use jbod for MS storage spaces.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

But I cannot find the D2000 JBOD there, but in the D2000 quickspecs there is only a "single initiator environment" mentioned. Check yourself.

The problem is always the smartarray in the server. If this controller has cached data and fails, the data remains in the controller - the second server would see corrupted data in this case.

This was years and years ago the reason for putting a smart array into the MSA20!

I would use a real array instead of a JBOD.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

JohanHelmer
Occasional Advisor

We would not like to use a san duo to performance/cost ratio.

You right p811 controller will collect it in the cash so jbod with in this solution is not possible.

We need to look in that solution to an HBa like H222 But still this will make me unknown if I can use this with a 4 d2700 and 4 servers. can I use port 1 and port 2 on controller A  in the d2700 to connect to two different servers?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I don't think this is supported, I cannot find any hint.

But without a smart array you cannot create arrays at all. This is the difference between an array and a jbod.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

JohanHelmer
Occasional Advisor

True you can’t create a hardware raid but that’s something i don’t want, i want to use storage spaces from 2012R2.

If someone else knows something about this i am still open to it:-)

@Torsten thanks for your help.

Adam Schildmeyer
Occasional Advisor

As far as I know HP doesn't have anything today that will work... Reason being is if you are having a truckload of disks your gonna wan't SES-3 compliant JBODS. SES-3 compliant enclosures will allow Windows to communicate with it properly for enclosure redundancy and as well to turn on the blinky blinks for the disks.

http://windowsservercatalog.com/results.aspx?&chtext=&cstext=&csttext=&chbtext=&bCatID=1642&cpID=0&avc=79&ava=0&avq=0&OR=1&PGS=25&ready=0

Your gonna want to choose something from that list. Also if you want to you can use the LSI SAS switch to scale up vs cascading off the JBOD.