New Discussion юеВ

Re: Will the data be lost on Vdisk After OS failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Will the data be lost on Vdisk After OS failure

Hi All,

Can you please tell me will I lost the data in following scenario?

1. I have presented a vdisk from EVA to a windows server and created basic disk on the server. What if i replace the server and present the same disk to new server. will i have to format the vdisk and create new drive from Windows. Or i can use it without formating.

2. I have presented multiple vdisks to a server and used windows dynamic disk to create single big partition out of multiple small vdisks and formatted it. What if the OS is reinstalled or i have replaced the server will i be able to use the same drive without loosing the data.
6 REPLIES 6
Solution

Please find the answers,

1. When you will unpresent the LUN from one server and re-present it to another server you can access the data like a USB pen-drive.

2. I hope there is no one who will do this kind of setup. It is always recommended to have two partition atleast and one will have OS and another one data.

Hope this information will help you.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Hi SUBHAJIT,

Thanks for your reply actually you didn't understand my second question. Actually what I wanted to ask is that suppose we have created 1Tb x5 vdisks and presented them to a Windows servers.

On the server using dynamic disk technology we have created D: drive of 5Tb by combining all these 5 vdisks.

After writing some date on D drive suppose we would like to use the same vdisks on another server without loosing the data, will we be able to achieve that.
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The Dynamic Disks are little secure, where as OS secure the disk with some security and the same volume can't be accessed from another machine/reinstall the OS.

However, it will appear as Foreign Volume and you can import those volumes which made active again.

As my personal experience, we have faced one issue with dynamic volumes, import is failed after Fresh OS installation.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yeah, if you do move the disks to another server, wouldn't you also have to add the right disks in the right order? Sounds complicated. Especially if the disks are of the same size.
Khurram Shahzad
Regular Advisor

Hi What do you mean by the adding the disks in correct order.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

So maybe I misunderstood how a dynamic disk works.

But if you have a dynamic disk consisting of 3 "physical" disks (let's call them A, B & C) from the SAN - wouldn't one be at the beginning, one in the middle and one at the end of the dynamic disk? With only disk A having the "beginning" of the disk?

dynamic disk==ABC

?

Or is this something that windows will recognize automagically when you put them in a spanned volume again? With disk signatures maybe?