5962 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting password

Tarek
Super Advisor

Setting password

Hallo all,
i have created a new user on an hp 10.20 not using nis. When i try to set the password i have this message: Temporary file busy; try again later for /etc/ptmp
The /etc/ptmp file doesn't exist. I rebooted the ws, but the problem stil stays. How can i do?
Thanks in advance for your help.
6 REPLIES 6
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting password

check if you have some file called /etc/passwd.tmp
Edward Sedgemore
Trusted Contributor

Someone was/is using the vipw command to modify the password file. This uses the temorary file /etc/ptmp (the man page is incorrect for 10.20 - it does use /etc/ptmp not /etc/passwd.tmp).

To find out who is using it do;

fuser /etc/ptmp

This should list the process number of the culprit. The do ps -lfp to see who it is, then try to contact them. If you cant find them its ok to kill the and to remove the /etc/ptmp file so you can now modify your password.
Tarek
Super Advisor

The /etc/passwd.tmp doesn't exist. No one is using the /etc/ptmp, i tried before and after reboot with fuser command.
The /etc/ptmp is empty.
Pedro Sousa
Honored Contributor

I've never seen this problem before, but if you don't have the file /etc/passwd.tmp, try to touch it.
Related this problem, do you have the patch PHCO_10272 installed? Install it.
here is a little description of it:
"Inconsistent lock implementation between commands which modify the password file: passwd, vipw, chfn, chsh, user*.
Sometimes when a program or command is trying to update /etc/passwd, if another command or program is already trying to do the same,
1) the former is told the file does not exist or
2) the last one to finish updating throws away the changes done by the first one to finish.

good luck.
Edward Sedgemore
Trusted Contributor

You said the /etc/ptmp file is empty. That means it exists! Remove it and that should fix your problem.
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Remove the user and create it with SAM.