108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

This might be way out in LaLa land...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

This might be way out in LaLa land...

I just saw an add for a 64GB USB flash memory drive. Yes! I said 64 Gig-a-bytes. The is 1,000,000 times what my first computer could address.
Is there any one making a computer that only used these memory sticks instead of hard drives? No moving parts.
I know the newer BIOS's can boot off of USB drives. What about a motherboard that only has the flash memory sticks. You could almost have a SuperDome in your shirt pocket.
There is already monitors you ware like glases.
A new PocketDome with bluetooth and who knows?

Marty, doerofthings.com
The only thing that always remain the same are the changes.
7 REPLIES 7
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: This might be way out in LaLa land...

Well, Marty, since you asked this in an HP-UX forum, I'll give you the HP-UX answer:

the only USB connections on an HP-UX machine are for the keyboard and mouse.

In a Windoze environment - could be - I don't know.

Pete

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Too SLOW as compared to DDR2 memory or other on-board memory.

BTW, it can be found at http://www.kangaru.com.

Some day we will probably be able to, but not today.

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Marty, I know your are thinking in bigger terms, but my 'HP T5515 thin client' pretty much works in the manner you suggest running Linux.

If has a 256MB flash drive as system 'disk', 256M dimm as working memory, and I (re)loaded it by booting from a 64MB memory stick.
It has a Transmeta low power intel compatble CPU, so like you suggest it runs with no moving parts (no fan, no rotating disk).

fwiw,
Hein.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Wow! Where'd you seen that memory stick? You could potentially store your life inside such a stick!

But seriously now, 64GB Flash memory on even a USB 2.0 link does not make sense. USB only goes to 480 mbps (about ~ 60 MByte/sec) so I amnot sure it will have practical applications as an enterprise or server storage.

If that 64GB is "Solid State" disk and not USB - then we're talking about a serious server or db accelerator here. Such is the case in some enterprises where SSD (solid state disks) are the norm to accelerate certain applications.

Back to USB Flash Memory off USB - HP-UX PARISC do not support USB but the new HP-UX Integrity might already -- for anywhere from removable storage and possibly even for booting.

On the X86/X86-64 space, booting off "USB Sticks" have been around for quite sometime now (I'd say 4-5 years..). Most of my Linux (and derivatives) machines run their OS of USB Sticks. With 1-2G Sticks as cheap as a decent steak meal these days - You can practically have PC's boot off USB.. Many many advantages...

HTH.
Hakuna Matata.
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

Well, the 'HP T5515' is almost a SuperDome.
I didn't know about this HP's ThinClient. We are working on thin clients. I have not been involved in the project. I sent the group leader a link to the T5515.

Marty
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

For those of you that have a log of money, I saw those 64GB thumb drives at tiger direct.
The price tag was about $2800. It is the thought that counts here.
A good cell phone wit the new high-speed internet connection will be as far as I'm going this year.
You just wait. Some one is going to do this some day soon just because they can.

Thanks for youe responces.
Marty
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

FWIW,

at last years' OpenVMS Bootcamp in Nashua Stephen Hoffman ("Hoff" in the VMS community) already reported booting VMS off a USB stick, but "... nice to have the ability, and it will sure have its uses, but the performance is not what you would normally consider satisfactory"

Proost.

Have one on me (maybe in may in Nashua?)

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.