3525 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 3PAR licensing and specific cases

farid_nasiri
Occasional Contributor

3par licensing and spesific cases

Hi

Q1:suppose 48 disk license bought for copy operations or adaptive optimization services , what will happen to these services if add another extra HDD to the system?how mentioned services continue to run and interact with new disks ?

Q2:the copy/optimization,.... licenses apply where on the syste ? applies on controller or on disks? what will happen to licenses if loosing physically controllers or disks ?

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Q1: suppose 48 disk license bought for copy operations or adaptive optimization services

I thought the license is for the total number of disks.

> Q2: the copy/optimization, licenses apply where on the system?

The whole array.

> losing physically controllers or disks?

If you're losing nodes or PDs, you have more serious problems.

farid_nasiri
Occasional Contributor

thanks Dennis

Q1 : as i know depend on array model it differs , for 7400c up to 164 disk must have license and higher are free for copy/optimization services , so when i have only 48 disk licence what will happen to rest of new 10 disks ?

Q2 : license applies to whole array means where? on controller ? on disk ? i have enough spare parts so on controller or disk changing should license be apllied again ?

Thanks 

farid_nasiri
Occasional Contributor

i think licenses will aply on controller so if changing both controller we may need to re apply them , any idea?

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Q1: when I have only 48 disk licence what will happen to rest of new 10 disks?

You won't be able to admit them.

>Q2: license applies to whole array means where?

Whole means everything.

>I think licenses will apply on controller so if changing both controller we may need to re apply them?

They apply to the array and are attached to the array serial number.

CalvinZito
HPE Blogger

Dennis - thanks for jumping in.

If you want to dive deeper into HP 3PAR, here's a link to my blog and the 3PAR related posts.  Also happy to answer any questions.