3965 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9000/817S equivalence

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Alderson

9000/817S equivalence

I have inherited an HP 9000/817S. I used to know, but it's been years: What is the equivalent nomenclature for later systems (D, E, F), when looking at Ebay auctions of parts (memory, etc.)?
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

As far as I know these were the beginning of the Nova named series. (G30-G70, H20-H70, I40-I70) The 70 designated a second processor.

HP 9000/817S from what I can find is a 48MHz PA-RISC CPU and could have up to 64Mb RAM. (Real powerful beast wasn't it)

You could run HPUX 9.x (which means it is not Y2K compliant)
HTH
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
As far as i remember my good old I70 it had
two processors, ub to 768 MB memory and space for five fullsize or ten halfsize interfaces. Bus architecture was HP-PB
( Hewlett-Packard Precision Bus ).
One internal disk and a cdrom on an internal SCSI interface ( single-ended ).
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Jesse Dougherty
Honored Contributor
Solution

If your looking for the internals on the 817S boxes to search on ebay, there below:

A2232A 32MB Memory kit
A2511A 64MB Memory kit
A2516A 128MB Memory kit
A3349A 2GB SE SCSI internal Disk drive
A3304A 2GB SE SCSI internal Disk drive
A3352A 4GB SE SCSI internal Disk drive
* you can also use most any 50 pin SE SCSI drive
J2092A 16 port MUX
J2096A 32 port MUX
28655A SE SCSI Card
28696A FWD Host Adapter
J2146A 802.3 ThinLAN Adapter
J2166A 802.5 Token Ring Adapter
28650B HP-IB Interface
28615A Fiber Link interface

Hope this helps

Jesse
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Jese is right aboput the partnumbers.
If you need more disk space, you should also look for a so called 'JAMAICA' disk array.
Four disks / two power supplies
and FWD !!! SCSI ( HVD ).
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Richard,

I had to go back to an old manual, as my memory is not what it used to be, but the short answer to your question is that your 817S is equivalent to an F20 system. I used to have one of them, too (I thought it sounded familiar...)

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Richard Alderson

Thanks, everyone! This was all very helpful!

Yes, this is a "powerful" system--that's why my PPOE gave it away. But 10 years ago it was sufficient to run the Minx MRP system for a start-up.

In retirement it's going to back up the Macs and my wife's Windows box, and run a DEC-20 emulator in its spare time. (And hey, with X provided on Panther, I can run VUE!)
Brian M Rawlings
Honored Contributor

Identifying the 817S is difficult, but I believe that I heard of some cave paintings in the Sudan which clearly depicted an 817S being pursued by a T-Rex (or was it a T500?).

I understand that three complete skeletons of 817s or similar early Triassic denizens (827s or F20, hard to tell from just the bones) were recently unearthed in an archeological dig in the Gobi. Dating these finds was made difficult by some sort of world-wide cataclysm which caused an intermingling of systems from other eras in one geologic layer. Apparently there are bones of a smaller dinosaur mixed in with the HP bones, with the only identifying marks on the interloper being "PC JR." Very strange.

Finally, some petroglyphs in the badlands of New Mexico appear to show some sort of spacecraft, and possibly aliens (or maybe just a really bad artist was involved), delivering some kind of message or data to a group of 817S. It is hard to be sure what all is being depicted by a bunch of squiggly lines, but experts conjecture that there is some sort of incompatibility between the occupants of the spaceship, who appear to be offering some sort of co-axial connection, and the worshipful 817s, which seem to be configured with HP-IB.

I'm not sure if any of this helps with your problem of dating and categorizing the 817S, but the research was quite rewarding. Good Luck with your fossil, long may it hum.

Later... --bmr
We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately. (Benjamin Franklin)