1755747 Members
3675 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: error message from procsize

Curtis Mullins
Advisor

error message from procsize

procsize is an unsupported process size monitoring tool from hp. i use this to monitor
growing processes. today i got his message:
"procsize error pid has more than a 1000 pregions. Unable to process." i am not much concerned about procsize as i am the actual process. does this mean that the process is having problems or could have? we are running 11.10 on an n-class box.
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Curtis,

A process can have only one text & one data pregion, but it could have numerous shmem or shlib regions. So it is either attaching to a bunch of shared memory regions - kind of unlikely unless this is a monster program or very sloppily written - OR it can be accessing a boatload of SHLIB files - also unlikely, but still 1000+ is a LOT of pregions.
I suspect that it's creating a shared memory segment, attaching to it & then never cleaning up when it's done with it.

I think I'd attach Tusc to it & see just exactly what it's doing.

So the answer is probably - Yes - you're probably going to have trouble with this process because sooner or later you're going to exhaust a resource - probably memory - because it may not be cleaning up after itself properly.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Curtis Mullins
Advisor

thanks jeff

yes the process is a memory hog and it will run out of data space at 2gig. this was a fix to a memory leak problem. we monitor the process and restart it gracfully just before it reaches the limit. i just was curious if we were going to have unforseen problems. thanks for your help......
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If the process is supposed to grab more than 2Gb, then it should be recompiled as a 64bit program. However, the 2Gb limit doesn't sound like local data (with 1000+ pregions). Try ipcs -bmop and see if there are many pages of small shared memory segments. If true, find the programmer and demand an explanation. This is not a design I would want in production. If the program needs a lot of shared memory, then it should ask for it in large chunks. Creating 1000+ pregions is going to create a lot of system overhead. Of course, the program may just be full of bugs and running away so it will ask for more memory forever (find a new programmer).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin