108894 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

K Class HPPB LVD/SE SCSI compatibility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Greg Pierro
Frequent Advisor

K Class HPPB LVD/SE SCSI compatibility

I want to confirm whether a K210 supports an HPPB LVD/SE controller so I can attempt to install either a SureStore 2100 or 2300. Can anyone help me?
Also, I currently have an HP 28696A HB PB F/W SCSI card in a K210 server. I simply want to find out if this card is HVD/differential or Single Ended without bringing the system down and using a multi-meter to test pinout voltage and resistance. Part Surfer does not mention the type of interface and the drive enclosure that it is controlling has connectors that are labeled as differential/SE- which until this point have always read can't coexist on a device or bus without a differential converter. Thanks.

-Greg
6 REPLIES 6
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: K Class HPPB LVD/SE SCSI compatibility

Your 28696A is HVD differential SCSI only; all differential SCSI for your K is HVD. You can get a 28655A SE SCSI card for your K-box but if you want any kind of throughput, you really need the HVD SCSI card coupled to an HVD/LVD bus convertor. Blackbox Corp. and Paralan are two sources for these convertors.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Greg Pierro
Frequent Advisor

Wow, that was fast. I appreciate the feedback. I will try and do this.

Do you know of anything else that would make a DS2100 or 2300 or any newer external disk storage attachment incompatible with the K Box??

Thanks again!

Regards,
Greg
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

I would not recommand to do so. The Single ended Bus is to slow to get an LTO drive into streaming. If you do not get it into streaming you kill the drives and the tapes. If you want to use this for backup I would recommand to either back it up via fibrechannel or get an HVDS LTO drive and and HSC interface A2969A.

Sincerely,
Greg Pierro
Frequent Advisor

Ralf-
Sounds like you may have meant to reply to another thread. Or, I am just not following how this relates to my last question posted. Just want to confirm. Thanks.
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

Hello Greg,
I need to clear what I want to say. The 28696A is an high voltage differential Card, so HVDS. You can not use an Ultrium drive 2100 or 2300 on it. The reason for that is, that the card uses the tape2 driver (the last supported drive was DLT7000, also DLT 8000 is not supported). I better have to say it is not working, because it is not implemented in the tape2 driver. The Ultrium drives only work on the stape driver, for that you would need either a A2969A HP-HSC FWD SCSI-2 adapter (is also high Voltage differential) or you need to use the way via fiberchannel and a Fiberchannel/SCSI bridge.
Now to make the last step clear, also the single ended interface would not work (is also HP-PB with tape2 driver).
I hope this help to find the right solution.
Best Regards,
Greg Pierro
Frequent Advisor

I'm so sorry. I did not make it clear in the message that you replied to, but the first one indicates what I was asking. I meant a SureStore DS2100 or Surestore DS2300 which is are JBOD products.