HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1754888 Members
3708 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K Class Loses Same Drive After System Is Brought To A Halt.

Rob Smith
Respected Contributor

K Class Loses Same Drive After System Is Brought To A Halt.

Hi,

I have a K360 box that has a very strange problem. Everytime, and I mean everytime, this system is brought to a halt and turned off, it loses a drive when the box is turned on again. And it is the same drive! This has happened around 5 times in the last year and a half.

Just looking on some guidance on where to start. Patches are not completely up to date but not a disaster either. This drive is internal to the K, one of 2, and not in an external array. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
Learn the rules so you can break them properly.
7 REPLIES 7
paul courry
Honored Contributor

I could start guessing at what "loses" means

does not spin up
is fried and must be replaced
is not recognized
etc.
etc.

but I can give you a better answer if you are specific and give me as much information as you can. Sorry. :(
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Diagnostics what say? STM,EMS,ioscan -nf
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

After the system is brought back is the drive lost as in not seen with ioscan or couldn't activate vg lost? ie/ could'nt query pv then you have to vgcfgrestore to get it back.
Rob Smith
Respected Contributor

Sorry guys more details are in order. I can see the drive with an ioscan but the usual checks, diskinfo, dd etc, show the drive to be dead. It is part of a mirror set so I usually break quorom and bring the VG up with the surviving drive. Thanks, I will assign points.

Rob

Learn the rules so you can break them properly.
Denver Osborn
Honored Contributor

If ioscan sees it but diskinfo shows it as zero bytes and dd gets read errors, I'd replace the disk.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

This one is strange. Have any of the other devices on the internal bus failed? The only things that occur to me are possibly bad termination (I once saw a terminator where one of the data lines was terminated with too small of an impedance due to component failure) and it caused really wierd problems);
and possibly a bad SCSI connector. I thing I would move the drive connection and make sure that there are no terminators installed on the drive itself.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Michael Francisco
Trusted Contributor

We had a similar problem on a D class server. I'm not sure about the K360, but on a D350, the SE SCSI port on the back is on the same channel as the internal drives, so having a bad cable, terminator or SCSI device on the external bus may affect the internal drives.

Michael
Uhhh...no