HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1758616 Members
1848 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MEMORY IDENTIFICATION

Jason Henriksen

MEMORY IDENTIFICATION

When looking at a memory dimm part number label, what do the numbers on the right side of the label stand for? The top number consists of four digits, and the bottom is four digits preceded by a letter.
5 REPLIES 5
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Steve,

The typical order of HP parts is:

Example:

1818-0596 This is typically a component part

A3027-60001 This is typically a board part number that is part of an "A3027A" product number.

A3027-69001 Same as above except it's an exchange assembly.

A3027-69301 Same as above except it's the third revision of the same assembly.

A3027A product made up of (2)A3027-60001 assemblies.

Remember, these are examples, these part numbers were made up and may or may not be a real part.

HTH,

Dave
Jason Henriksen

DAVE, Thank you for the quick response. I understand the difference between the part number and the feature number, the question I have is in regards to the numbers on the right side of the part number label. For instance on a5684a memory.I see the serial number on the top left portion of the label, and the a5864-60001 below the serial number. On the upper right hand portion of the label I see a 4 digit number (4049), and right below this number I see another number (A-3934). These numbers, 4049 and A-3934, are the one's in question. Thanks, steve
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Steve,

I'm not sure what those numbers are. Although I do believe that the "A-3934" number is a revision number.

Dave
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Steve (and Dave)

The A-3934 number is, in fact an Engineering Date Code (EDC) number. The Letter refers to the artwork revision (the masks used to create the board itself) and the 4-digit number is a date code. The first two digits are the year since 1960 and the the second two digits are the week number, so A-3934 tells us that this part is built on the initial artwork revision of the board and the engineering revision is dated in the 34th week of 1999.

I hope this clears up a little of the mystery.

Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Jason Henriksen

Dave,
Thank you for the response. That is very helpful. That is half of the so called battle. I am assuming that the other is some type of firmware for the DIMM. Thank you for your help. Steve