4474 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RP4440-8

CSP_ALGERIA
Frequent Advisor

RP4440-8

hello all,

I have a RP4440-8 and i need to add a memory and a CPU.

do I need licence for this?

thanks for all
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

If you already have 8 processors in the rp4440 (that is 4 of the dual-core processor boards) then you are already maxed out on the number of processors.

If you don't have 8 processors you can add more. I don't believe a license is required, but if/when you add it to your maintenance agreement you will see in an increase in the cost.

You can add additional memory. No license required for that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

No, at least not from the perspective of HP-UX. Some application software is licensed to the number of processors so that could be a factor.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

If you are adding CPUs, you will need to add licenses for your HPUX software. If you just have the Foundation OE and no other products, then this incurrs no extra cost. If you have Enterprise OE or Mission Critcial OE, or seperate products like MirrorDisk or OnlineJFS then this will incurr extra cost.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

I dont think there is a license for this as far as HP Unix is concerned. You can talk to your local HP account rep to get this ordered and get it installed.

Rgds

HGN
Nguyen Anh Tien
Honored Contributor

HW did not require license, But you must buy more Software licence (that depend on number of CPU) such as: MC-SG, Mirror Disk-UX..
HP is simple
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

strictly speaking you will not need any extra licences for the hardware side, but you do for the software side of things.

hpux is licenced per cpu on these servers, as is mirrordisk and oracle and such like.

when you buy extra cpu, buy the licence with it.
The other option is to increase the speed of the processors if you are not running the fastest ones available. Also depending upon how the system was ordered originally, the processors may be already installed just not activated. In which case you will need a lic key from Hp to activate them and pay for them.
You really need to check which software you are running which is cpu licence related.

Andy
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Take a look with this link:
http://www.hp.com/products1/servers/entry_level/index.html

regard,
Looking for a special chance.......
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

When you add a processor module to the rp4440, it will add two processors, since it is a dual core chip in the module. So you need to purchase two additional licenses of any software that has associated costs. You also need to tell HP what support level you are on so you get the appropriate level of support coverage. For example, you could have purchased your system with 3 year 24x7 coverage or one year 24x7 coverage, so you want to get the same support for the additional CPU module.
Mom 6