SOLVED
Go to solution
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

sun quad fast ethernet -qfe driver for hp-ux

I have a sun quad fast ethernet card-qfe
do you know how to get this working in hp-ux 11 or 11i

basically i think we would need the driver to get it running
any idea if this has been written or any public domain sites where I can get this
5 REPLIES 5
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Re: sun quad fast ethernet -qfe driver for hp-ux

Hello,

I'm sorry but I never heard that a SUN quadfast ethernet card works on hpux...

Stf ;-)
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I seriously doubt you're going to get that working. I seriously doubt that a HP-UX driver exists for that card.
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

With very few exceptions, the drivers HP ships with HP-UX only recognize HP-branded NICs. The drivers will not bind to non-HP NICs, even if they happen to use the same chipsets as their HP counterpart.

So, even if the Sun QFE happens to use the same Digital 2114X ships that HP used in their 10/100 NICs for the 9000's, the btlan[3456] (11.0) and btlan (11i) driver will not claim it.

It would be OK to give it a try - the card should not hurt anything just sitting in an I/O slot. You will probably see it appear in ioscan as "UNCLAIMED."

At that point, you can either write a driver yourself using the HP-UX DDG stuff - start at http://dspp.hp.com/ IIRC, or devresource.hp.com - and whatever Sun publishes for specs on the card, or ask Sun for a driver.

HP did/does ship a quad-port Fast Ethernet card for HP-UX systems. I'm not sure what the price is new, but suspect it would be rather cheap on the open market if the HP original pricing is too dear. You might even be able to arrange a swap of your Sun QFE for an HP quad-port.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

HP-UX does not have built-in drivers for these cards - unless of course if you can get someone to write a module for it... The PA-LINUX folks if they're still around can probably help.. but it will be unsupported and probably be very unstable..

Just get an HP QFE..
Hakuna Matata.
martin_215
Frequent Advisor

thanks for all ur replies

Iguess getting a hp qfe would be worth more than trouble getting sun qfe