108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: tools to remove screws from rails

SOLVED
Go to solution
Devinh7
Frequent Visitor

tools to remove screws from rails

I have an approximately 15 -20 year old HP rack.  The rails are from about 2004 -2006, they were stock with the HP RP series servers.  The rails are screwed into the rack with 3 screws on each corner.  Each screw goes through a what would normally be an intermediate nut, between the rail post, and a final nut on the outside of the rail post.  The problem is where there would normally be hex or square nuts, something that can be grabbed and held still, the actual pieces are round and smooth.   There must be some trick to holding those things still, so the screws can be removed.   I need the parts, so destroying them is not an option.  Does anyone know how the screws are supposed to come out of these rail brackets ?

12 REPLIES 12
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It is a clip nut similar to this (best picture I can find).

It is not the same, I know, but it works the same way.

There are no special tools need, unless it is somehow broken. If broken, you need to find a way to destroy it, but normally this does not happen.

Maybe the thread inside is damaged, so the screw cannot get out. Try to turn the screw and pull at the same time.

11221_1

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Devinh7
Frequent Visitor

No such luck. There are other pieces that are attached to the rack with the clip nuts.

These are more like barrel nuts in the middle, like several round nuts attached together,

and the outside "nut" is just like a normal hex nut, except it is smooth and impossible to hold still.

I have been trying every way I can to hold them still by pressing them against the rack uprights, and pulling back against the outer ones, and trying to pull back on the screw also, but so far nothing is working efficiently.

I have the easier ones off, after hours of work.

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi , 

By any chance do you have the Part number/ Model of the HP Rack?

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Devinh7
Frequent Visitor

According to partsurfer, this should be the original rail kit that came with the server,  which is a rp4440 A7134B

but the pictures do not match what we have

A6977A Rack mount kit - Includes side-mount slides and cable management arm
and the brackets are:
A6977-67001 Right rack mount bracket
A6977-67001 Right rack mount bracket

While in the rack, I cannot see any other part numbers, and I did not find any added specifically on the order that was placed for this host.

S_Logan
HPE Pro

Hi , 

I understand the attached rack mount Bracked with attached in the server's side (both right and Left) and you are unable to unscrew the same.

all i could the see the tool used for rack installation are:

тАв 1/4 inch Flat Blade Screwdriver
тАв ACX-15 Torx Screwdriver

I belived the following part only , you are trying to unscrew from the sever:

http://partsurfer.hpe.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=A6977-67001

Appreciate you can share the image of the bolt/nuts (which is fixed in the server).

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Devinh7
Frequent Visitor

On the outside of the rack, and the back of the bracket, you can see the top, where the rear, round "nut" has been removed but the screw is still being held in place by a second "round nut" which is between the rails, and invisible.  Below that the 2 screws threaded into the "round nut".  Those round "nuts" are nearly impossible to hold still, and they just spin as the screw is turned, same problem with the one in the middle.

The second photo is from the the inside aspect of the rack. The middle screw still has its outermost "round nut",  and you can see about half of the second round nut in the middle, while just the smallest tip of the actual head of the screw is showing towards the inner part of the bracket.Outside aspectOutside aspectInside aspectInside aspect

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

normally there are no screws at all. it is just clicked. you press the yellow button tight and pull the rail towards to release it. thats all.

i remember there is a screw at the middle between front and back of the rail to fix it, so you cannot extend it.

you need to find the hole to get access to the screw, untight it, then you csn push and pull.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
S_Logan
HPE Pro

Please Check on both sides for the screw or latch release server from slide rails.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

S_Logan
HPE Pro

FYI, These (refer attached image) are the latest bracket with nut fixed on it (which you are refering smooth nut)

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo