1756892 Members
3242 Online
108857 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade Superdome 16 Way PA8600 to Superdome 16 Way PA8800

zap_2
Advisor

Upgrade Superdome 16 Way PA8600 to Superdome 16 Way PA8800

Hi HPUX masters, we are currently running Superdome 16 way with 552 MHz PA-RISC 8600 and want to upgrade this configuration to Superdome 16 Way PA-RISC 8800 with a Dual Core CPU of 1.0 GHz.What should we prepare??We should exchange the back plane, cell board, and core I/O ???And What the issues that will happen during the upgrading process??What should we prepare to facing this processes.Any advises will be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade Superdome 16 Way PA8600 to Superdome 16 Way PA8800

From your end, you will first need to upgrade your SuperDome nPar's OS rev to at least the DEC. 2003 HP-UX 11i release and patch it to the latest and greatest GOLD and HWE bundles.

If you are running vPars.. then you will need to upgrade to version 3.01
Hakuna Matata.
timmy b.
Honored Contributor

Zap.
You should leave this upgrade to HP. This is a very in depth upgrade. It is a "kit" upgrade, you order it and they come out to do it.

This upgrade will take quite a bit of planning and time for the actual upgrade.

Your SMS will have to be upgraded first.

Your GSP has to be upgraded to an MP.

There are upgrades that have to be done to the Superdome that require an encryption key that only HP has access to.

Changing the PCI cardcages to PCI-X??

Backplane doesn't change, but all the cell boards do. Your memory can carry over, but obviously not the cpus. There are a bunch of patches that have to be applied.

Get the idea? You want HP involved!

Good Luck - Tim
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Actually customers have no choice with upgrades like these but to let HP do it. HP always does the upgrade.. specially this is a SuperDome.

Aside from the Upgrade of the OS and the items I've already mentioned - you will need to run a script from HP to correct hardware paths post upgrade.

Hakuna Matata.