New Discussion юеВ

Re: User unable to clear print queue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lana Cameli
Advisor

User unable to clear print queue

Hi there;
I have a user that prints a 40+ page report on regular basis. One of the problems is that when she initiates a print job, the print queue does not clear when printing is done. This results in another printout...and continues on until "cancel printer" command is issued.

This user was created the same as others and from what I can see, has the same permissions as others also. Where else can I check for possible problem? Would dropping and re-creating user solve this?

Any help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Removing and re-creating the user account is not likely to fix this.

My guess is that something times out before the printer can confirm the job has completed successfully.

What kind of printer is it? How is it connected? What type of printer queue is it (local, remote or network)?

If it is a "network" printer (i.e. the server connects to the printer using the JetDirect protocol), the timeout setting in the printer's JetDirect card (or equivalent) probably needs to be increased.

Another possibility is to turn off "job recovery" for that print queue. This has a side effect: if a print job is interrupted by e.g. removing power from the printer, the server will not automatically re-submit the print job after the printer is again in a working condition. (Your users might actually expect the printer to behave like this, so it might not be a problem.)

MK
MK
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is a common problem with hppi and JetDirect printers. Modify the printer queue to turn off TRUE-EOJ. This should be done on all hppi printer connections.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Lana Cameli
Advisor

Ok...great! How do I do that? Is that a printer setting or is this something I do on the HP-UX?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

This is done on the HP-UX side. The hppi command is how HP JetDirect printers are added using SAM. However, you can run the command manually and then select the printer and modify the settings. Or you can do it the easy way:

modifyqueue -q my_printer -t off

man modifyqueue for details

see also man addqueue for an easier way to add a new printer:

addqueue -q my_printer2 -h 12.34.56.78

Bill Hassell, sysadmin