New Discussion юеВ

Re: WARN CF50

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

WARN CF50

Hi all:

Seemed to have walked into a hornets nest.

Got a K580 with 11i. The 4GB root/boot disk filled up so they tried putting in a 9GB root/boot disk. I am looking over the system and I see the 9GB is a FWD SCSI2 disk. Checked the jumpers and they are OK (same as original disk). Still will not recognize boot device. In fact will not recognize any boot devices. Doing a SEA at the IPL returns nothing. Says the SEA was interrupted.

On the LED I see a WARN CF50. What dows this code mean? (Probably no boot device but any more info to this?) Also, where can I find these WARN codes for the K series?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Is this an internal drive in the K580? If so, then HVD FWD SCSI is what you need.

I am in the process of searching for the LCD codes for that beast.....
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Here they are:
http://www1.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/node.do?source=search&node=prodITRC/WW_Start/N1|11|7|5|3|2
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

It is an internal drive.

Gets interesting here. I put the original 4GB in and the system is still unable to find bootable devices. SEA at IPL returns "The search was terminated" and there is no further feedback. No bootable devices, including tape and CDROM.

Yet when I go ahead and "bo interact with ISL N" the system boots. It is on the network, accessible, started all services, etc.

How can a system not find boot devices yet still boot?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Rick,

Is the code you saw CF50 or C5F0? If it's the latter then it just means you are at IPL:

WARN C5F0 Primary IPL warning

These are available at this link:

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/search.do?category=c0&mode=id&searchCrit=allwords&docType=Security&docType=Patch&docType=EngineerNotes&docType=BugReports&docType=Hardware&docType=ReferenceMaterials&docType=ThirdParty&searchString=KCKBCA00000578

A whole list of documents with these codes here:
http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/iv/node.do?node=prodITRC%2FWW_Start%2FN1%7C11%7C7%7C5%7C3%7C2

I got there by going to the ITRC main page; then selected 'navigate knowledge trees' ; then 'Server' ; then 'K-class' ; then 'Troubleshooting' ; then 'System Troubleshooting' ; then 'LCD Front Panel Display Codes' ; then 'System Initialization Codes'

Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Thanks Patrick/Clay. I was looking in the docs area. Found the owners guide but no explanation the the codes.

But I am still at a loss as to why it cannot find bootable devices yet the system boots?

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Are all devices connected well? Plugs seated all the way? Have you checked termination? I believe the FWD bus that the boot drives are on is also accessable externally. You might check and see if there is a terminator on the back of any FWD ports on the back of the machine.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

There was an unterminated FWD on the back. Put a terminator on. Still cannot SEA for bootab;e devices.

Acts as if the SEA was interrupted and terminates.

But still boots from the internal boot drive.
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The CF50 code is essentially an "error reading IPL" being flashed as WARNING.

Try "sea ipl ". You might able to see known result.

"sea ipl" would scan all available SCSI devices through available SCSI buses in this case to check if ipl is available on a device. It might be a case, media in CDROM or tape in tape drive or either of them would create problem this search. If you have media or tape loaded, remove them and try "sea ipl". If not, then more isolation could be done by removing cdrom , tape drive one at a time and check what you get.
As said already, proper termination needs to be assured as well.
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

I have tried and tried, reset and reseated, unplugged all extra peripherial devices, etc.

All that was left were the internal drives with all SCSI connections on the back of the system terminated.

Still could not search for bootable devices. The system still did not recognize any bootable devices.

I did sea, sea ipl, sea ipl 10/0.6.0, none of these worked. Acted like it was interrupted and terminated the search.

I went to the 'bo 10/12/5' syntax to specifical tell the system to boot from tape drive. Worked. I was able to ignite restore the internal boot disk. Go figure, the system still does not know it has any boot devices. But it still boots from the internal boot drive at 10/0.6.0.

After the restore I hooked up the peripheral devices and external disks. All appears OK.

If any other ideas out there as to what is happening, please give me your input.

Thanks