1754901 Members
3862 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BSOD on W2008 after MPIO DSM for EVA Installed

Rayh_2
Occasional Contributor

BSOD on W2008 after MPIO DSM for EVA Installed

We have multiple BL460c G1 Servers with Virtual Connect configured to Boot from SAN to an EVA8000.
The BL460's are running W2008 x64 SP2 Std and currently use the native microsoft MPIO. All is stable with the microsoft MPIO.
The servers have up to date firmware as per firmware DVD v9.0 and have PSP v8.5 applied. We are using Qlogic HBA's QLA2462 with BIOS v2.12
When we install the HP MPIO DSM for EVA8x00 v4.01.00 after a reboot the server gets to the logon banner and then does a Blue Screen every time. This happens on all servers
The page file is set for local disk in the server.

Any suggestions?
Rgds Ray

5 REPLIES 5
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Rayh,

best is to let your support provider analyse the dump file, if it is happening on all servers it looks to be a case where there is a good chance that the analisys of the dump file will point to the root cause (i.e. which driver casued the crash).

When updating these kind of I/O related drivers, you often have to perform other driver updates like i.e. the storport driver.

Can you get back to a stable situation by performing 'Last Known Good config' at boot time ?

HTH

Kris
Rayh_2
Occasional Contributor

Kris
We can get back into the OS by doing a Last Known Good, (no HP MPIO driver present)

The only storport hotfix I'm aware of is KB961891 and this is for a fix when the page file is on the MPIO controlled device. We have not installed this because our page file is on local storage in the server.

The only other update we are planning is the VC-FC firmware it's currently at V2.01, we are going to v2.32. If this doesn't fix the problem we will escalate the problem to HP Support
Rgds Ray

Hi Rayh
Have managed to fix this issue.
I faced with the same on DL380 G6
Server was booting from SAN-after MPIO installatio
system was corrupted as you described
In the same time system has fully compatible with SPOCK configuration

Thank you
Rayh_2
Occasional Contributor

This is the work around for our BSOD after installing MPIO. The page file was located on internal disks in the server, we moved the page file to the C: Drive (boot from SAN disk), rebooted, installed MPIO, rebooted, moved the page file back to internal disks, rebooted and now MPIO is successfully installed and no more Blue Screens. Not sure why this worked but has been successful for all MPIO installs so far.
Rgds Ray

Rayh, God bless you!!!
I spent two weeks playing with drivers zoning HBAs and etc.
It works!