3737 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

connecting scsi msa30 to msa1000

kelly trosper
Occasional Advisor

connecting scsi msa30 to msa1000

Hi all,

I've got a full blown SAN going with 2 MSA1000's on it...

An older server we have has an MSA30 on it (scsi) with ~1TB of disk configured with a couple of LUN's... I'd like to hang the MSA30 on one of the MSA1000's to allow me more flexibility in sharing out that 1TB of space...

Will the MSA30 lose it's Array Config and the LUN's we've carved out on it when I unplug it from the server and hang it on the MSA1000???

Will the MSA1000 see that config as it boots up to allow me to mount those LUN's via the SAN?

Is my data in jeapardy?

Thanks,
KT
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: connecting scsi msa30 to msa1000

Kelly:

Theoretically, you should be able to connect up the MSA30 and boot up the MSA1000 and it should see your existing Arrays and Logical drives, allowing you to access them via the san. Though I have never been in a situation before to "play" with an MSA in this manor, HP claims it works.

Since the MSA1000 is Smart Array based...as long as your MSA30 was connected to a Smart Array RAID controller, the MSA1000 should be able to read the SA configuration from the drives and re-implement it on the msa controller.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Glenn N Wuenstel
Valued Contributor

Kelly,
Yes it does work. The goal is that any array created on a SmartArray Controller will be recognized by any other SmartArray Controller. This includes the MSA family.

Look for an updated whitepaper soon to cover the process and supported moves.

Glenn
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro
kelly trosper
Occasional Advisor

Thanks guys :)