New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP HSV200 SCSI Array Device

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mihai F
Occasional Advisor

HP HSV200 SCSI Array Device

Hello,

I am new at the SAN configuration, so I need all the help I can get.

I was assigned to install and configura a SAN solution, and I hope I get the most part done. Here is what I have:
- one HP EVA 4100
- two HP StorageWorks 4/8 Base SAN Switches
- one HP DL380 G5 Base Storage Server
- one one MSL4048 LTO 4 Fiber Channel Tape Library

So far, after a huge amount of research I think I got the Switches configured, whit Aliases, and Zones to proper ports. Also, I created Disk groups, vdisks, and hoasts. Now I have to preset the disk to a hoast, but the server does not see any disk.
Looking at a different server, similar configuration as mine (on a different network, not the one I'm in) I saw in Device Manager, for the Disks, the "HP HSV200 SCSI Array Device", which does not show on my server. The only disks I see on my server, are the phisycal disks that the server has.
Could this be just a driver issue? Everything looks good in device manager; I don't have any pop-ups for installing any driver, but I still cannot see the Presented vdisk.
Is there any specific task involved on the server to see the presented vdisk? I just go in Disk Management and rescan for disks after any change I made, but still nothing.
What am I missing?
Any sugestions would be really appreciated.

Thank you
23 REPLIES 23
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Did you install the HBA driver on the Server ?

Does the WWN of the HBA show up in the EVA4100 hosts lists ? if so then give the wwn's a alias using the server name.

Then use the presention tab on the Vdisk and present the lun to the server.

Then the server should see the lun in disk administrator, rescan your disks or reboot if it doesnt.

regards
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

I forgot. you also need to install the Full function MPIO driver for the EVA4100 so you do not see multiple instances of the same disk in Disk Admin.
Mihai F
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply, Martin.
Unfortunatelly, is still not working.
Here are more details:
- the HBA drivers are install on the Server, and the ports are online:

Host Bus Adapter 0:
Model: A8003A
Port WWN: 10.00.00.00.C9.72.AF.A2
Node WWN: 20.00.00.00.C9.72.AF.A2
Serial Number: MX308051H3
Driver description: Emulex LightPulse HBA - Multi-protocol Port Driver
Driver version: 5-2.42a0
Firmware version: 2.72A2
Option ROM version: 6.03A6
Port State: Online
Host Bus Adapter 1:
Model: A8003A
Port WWN: 10.00.00.00.C9.72.AF.A1
Node WWN: 20.00.00.00.C9.72.AF.A1
Serial Number: MX308051H3
Driver description: Emulex LightPulse HBA - Multi-protocol Port Driver
Driver version: 5-2.42a0
Firmware version: 2.72A2
Option ROM version: 6.03A6
Port State: Online
- On CommandView EVA I created the Host, which has the same name as the Server name, and I added the correct San switch ports. Also, I created the Disk groups, the VDisks, and I Presented the VDisk to the Host.
I still cant see disk on the host (server) after I rescan fro disks in Disk Management.
Also, I have lights on the FC card, and on the Fiber module (I think is transciver) on the San switch, so the fiber cable in good.
The MPIO is installed. If I run HPDMS CLI>hpdms devices, I get the "No device found" message.
Is my first time dealing with a SAN configuration, so I'm stuck...I have no idea what can be wrong.
The Fiber cards are HP FC2242SR 4GB PCI-e DC HBA. I installed already the 3rd driver for it. Could you point witch vould be the right one?
Is there anything else I can do here?
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

If you can see the WWN's of the HBA's in CV under hosts, then that is a good sign that the zoning is correct or was correct. then is it just a matter of presenting the vdisk to the correct host. which you already did. You could double check that the Server HBA's are logged into the switch fabric by logging into both switches and check the nameserver. It will show you the HBA wwn, the driver and FW versions running on the HBA and the Port it is connected to. then you could verify that wwn with the wwn you see in CV which you assigned to the server alias name.
Mihai F
Occasional Advisor

Martin,

I have these two WWNs for this server:
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-AFA1
XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-AFA2
I can see them on CV as Ports for the Host, on the SAN Switches (AFA1 on switch 1, and AFA2 on switch 2). Also, these WWNs show on the server's HBA adapter.
The Host on CV is the same as the Server name, and the same as the Alias on the San switches (I'm not sure about the relevance of this, but I just want to give you all the details I have)
Also, the Fiber cables are good...as I mentioned before, I have lights ON on the SAN switch, and on the Server FC card.
However, I still can't see the vdisk after I preset the Host.
This is anoying...eventhough I never had to deal with it before, but I feel like I'l 98% done with this task, and some small twick is stoping me from completing this task.
I appreciate all you help, and if you have any other ideas of what I can do, please let me know.

Thank you
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

here is a idea to see if the problem is the server or the Fabric/EVA. What server is running CV ? is it a different server than the 380G5 Storage Server ? if so then present the luns to the command view server to see if they appear there. If they do then the problem is definately with the DL380G5 HBA/SAN connection to the EVA.
Mihai F
Occasional Advisor

The CV is hosted by the so called Management Server, which came with the SAN cabinet, and is running Windows Storage Server 2003.
The host I'm presenting the VDISK to is a different one, a Windows Server 2003.
Bothe servers are DL380 G5.
The WWNs for both server are listed in CV. I actually added a host for the Management Server (the one running CV) because will need a VDISK also.
I have 3 more hosts, all on DL380 G5, and all the WWNs are showing in CV.
Martin Smoral
Trusted Contributor

great then unpresent the lun from the Storage Server where the lun is not showing up and try presenting it to the CV server or your other servers and see what happens. As long as your zoning is correct and CV see's the other hosts it should show up there too.
Mihai F
Occasional Advisor

I tried presenting the VDISK to the CV server and one other server, and still not able to see it.
So, should I start looking into the Switches configuration?
I gust that's what I'll start to dig into, tomorrow.
If you have any other sugestions where else I can look, I would appreciate.

Thank you.