New Discussion юеВ

n-port id virtualization

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

n-port id virtualization

Hi All,

Could you please let me know is there any way to configure SAN backup for ESX 3.5 hosts.

We have blade servers installed with esx 3.5 ,each vmware servers are hosting 3 windows os ,we need to configure MSL 2024 library on the windows machines to take SAN backup.Let me add the fiber channel hba`s are qlogic.

Please do let me know how can I configure n-port id virtualization for SAN backup.

Note: Decents points are assured for the helpfull answers.

Aneesh
7 REPLIES 7
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Re: n-port id virtualization

Hi ,

Any work around for the above requirement ?

Aneesh
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi All ,

Any information ?

Aneesh
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Hi aneesh,

Are u using....VMware Consolidated Backup??

It would be better if you backup images of these windows servers, by doing SAN backup of the base host. the Vmware consolidated backup software can help u create snapshots of the virtual machines and avoid downtimes.

I hope you have read

www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_301_201_vm_backup.pdf

I'm not an expert in VMware but just tried to help in any possible manner.
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Thank you Biju for your suggestion,am implementing data protectore backup software .We have some windows servers (like exchange,Fileservers etc) on top of Vmware ESX 3.5 .

Basically our requirement is to configure SAN backup on vmware hosts ,so we need to present MSL libraries on vmware hosts through SAN and let me add that we have exchange integrations .

Aneesh
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Aneesh,

VMware ESX server does not support Fibre Channel-attached tape drives, so you might not be able to map an FC-tape to a Virtual Machine (VM).

As of today, the NPIV feature looks like VMware is, ahem, 'experimenting'. Before you can use NPIV, you have to map the disks to the VMkernel, set up RDMs and present to the desired VM. Only then you can add NPIV-enabled WWNs to the VM. Next you grab those WWNs from the .vmx and set up the zoning in the Fibre Channel switches and the LUN masking (=Selective Storage Presentation) on the storage array.

Now you can start the VM and if everything else is set up correctly, NPIV will activate. The VMware documentation has some details on which logfiles to check whether NPIV comes up. If not, nothing horrible happens - the VM has still access to the data - it uses the RDMs!!
Aneesh Mohan
Honored Contributor

Hi ,

I could able to share the storage space to the vmware hosts using shared pool .

Is there any document stating the limitation of Fiber channel tape library on vmware,if it so could you please help me to find the same.

Thanks,
Aneesh
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Fibre Channel SAN Configuration Guide
ESX Server 3.5, ESX Server 3i version 3.5
VirtualCenter 2.5

vi3_35_25_san_cfg.pdf (Last Updated: February 12, 2008), Page 50:

""Restrictions for ESX Server with a SAN

The following restrictions apply when you use ESX Server with a SAN:

- ESX Server does not support FC connected tape devices. The VMware Consolidated Backup proxy can manage these devices. See the Virtual Machine Backup Guide.""