4678 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot add a blade to OneView

MadwolfPT
Occasional Visitor

Cannot add a blade to OneView

Hi all,

I have a customer that removed 2 BL465c gen8 from an enclosure that he has hosted in another place. That enclosure hasn't OneView controlling it, just VCM.

When I try to add the server hardware to the current enclosure I receive an error stating that I can't add them because they belong to another enclosure, and it don't allow me to force the add.

I tried to add them using POSH-OneView powershell with the -Confirm option with no luck.

Formatted the NAND card of the iLO 4 and try to add after with no luck either.

On the iLO of the BL460c Gen9 I have on the enclosure, I have an additional tab HP OneView that lets me delete the OneView configuration, but on these I don't have that tab, mainly because they were on an enclosure not managed or monitored by OneView.

Anyone has any idea on how to add the servers in this situation?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
peyrache
Respected Contributor

Hello
Did you have BL-class tab ? if so
Delete this remote manager configuration from this iLO
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

We are going to need a few more information about this.

• Can you please provide what version of HPE OneView your customer is running?  
  • Can you provide a screenshot of the error?

As for trying to use the PowerShell library, you can't use it to add a BL or SY server/compute node to HPE OneView.  They are automatically discovered when inserted into the enclosure/frame.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Cesar Vieira
Advisor

I have a BL-class tab but it only lets me go to Onboard Administrator, nothing else.

Cesar Vieira
Advisor

Its OneView 3.0

I don't have a screenshot at the moment, but the error it gives says clearly that cannot add the server hardware because it belongs to another enclosure.

To add the server hardware I must add the enclosure, with a hyperlink to add the enclosure, which I can't because I have no connection to it.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I really need to see that error message, as that message typically is only displayed when you attempt to add a non-BL server to an appliance that is not managing or monitoring the resource.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second statement.  The only way to "add" a BL or SY server to an HPE OneView or HPE Composer appliance is to physically insert it into an Enclosure/Frame that is being monitored or managed by an HPE OneView or HPE Composer appliance.  When the server is physically inserted, an SNMP trap is generated by the Onboard Administrator (the Frame LInk Module uses a different mechanism) to indicate the event and the appliance begins its discovery process.  You cannot use the Add Server Hardware action to add a BL or SY server.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Cesar Vieira
Advisor

Hi 

I attached prints from the enclosure with the 2 blades I need to add, the iLO of one of the servers, the process I'm using to add them and the error I get.

Thanks

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

You cannot add a BL server using the Server Hardware screen.  You physically add the server to the enclosure.  An SNMP trap is sent by the OA to the OneView appliance, which would initiate a discovery task.  Is that not happening on your appliance?  If not, then there is something prohibiting the SNMP trap from being received by the appliance.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Cesar Vieira
Advisor

Hi Chris,

In fact, on this OneView it isnt recognizing automatically the "new" blades.

I installed this OneView appliance and haven't touched anything on SNMP.

I guess I should probably check on the blades configuration to check if the customer changed anything, and after that, remove and re-add the blades,

Am I correct?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Do you have a firewall between the appliance and your enclosure?  Otherwise, I would suggest you please open a support case this point to further resolve the issue.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo