HPE OneView
1753301 Members
6740 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Certificate Issue after Upgrading the OneView 2.0 to 3.0

Certificate Issue after Upgrading the OneView 2.0 to 3.0

Did anyone faced the below Issue after upgrading OneView Appliance to 3.0 from its Pervious Version 2.0?

Issue: "The appliance is using a certificate created using SHA-1 to secure webserver communication. SHA-1 certificates are insecure and will not be supported by most modern browsers in 2017 or by future versions of the appliance. SHA-1 certificates must be replaced by SHA-256 certificates".

Accept or Kudo

8 REPLIES 8
kieran_obrien
Occasional Advisor

I got the same. I can generate a new appliance certificate but still get an error regarding the SCMB certificate.

The appliance is using an SCMB (State-Change Message Bus) or MSMB (Metric Streaming Message Bus) certificate created using SHA-1.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Where are you seeing this message?  If you are upgrading from an older version, the certificate key pairs were generated with the SHA-1 algorithm and will require you to regenerate them.  You can regenerate the appliance SSL Certificate from the Settings menu.  For SCMB/MSMB, you will need to use the REST API, or the Remove-HPOVScmbCertificate Cmdlet that will be in the next 3.00 PowerShell library release.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

kieran_obrien
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Chris,

I see the error in the activity log, and also under appliance alerts in the dashboard. The resolution text says: "Delete the old certificate, and then acquire the new certificates."

I have regenerated the appliance SSL certificate OK but am new to OneView / REST API. How do I regenerate the SCMB certificate?

I've installed the Powershell 3.00 library but don't see any options around SCMB certificates, other than Get-HPOVScmbCertificates which I don't think is what i need??

Thanks!

EDIT: This was a 2.00.07 appliance updated to 3.00.05

Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I got he same Error.

Did it as the Help say:

Creating a self-signed certificate
1.From the main menu, select Settings.
2.Click Security.
3.Select Actions→Create self-signed certificate.
4.Supply the data requested on the screen. See Create Self-Signed Certificate screen details if you need assistance with your entries.
5.Enter optional information, as needed.
6.Click OK.
7.Verify that the certificate was created. The certificate information is shown on the screen.

Simply press OK, and thew Certificate changes to sha-256

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The upcoming 3.0.1128.2242 3.00 library will have the Remove-HPOVScmbCertificate Cmdlet.  In the mean time you can use the following Cmdlet to remove the SCMB certs.  Warning: There will not be a prompt to confirm.

Send-HPOVRequest -Uri /rest/certificates/ca/rabbitmq_readonly -Method DELETE

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

kieran_obrien
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Chris,

I've issued that command and successfully deleted the Certificate (StatusCode 204)

Do I need to generate a new one, and if so, how?

Thanks!

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Yes, the Get-HPOVScmbCertificates Cmdlet will regenerate and download th SCMB certificates.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

kieran_obrien
Occasional Advisor

@ChrisLynch wrote:

Yes, the Get-HPOVScmbCertificates Cmdlet will regenerate and download th SCMB certificates.

Great, thanks. Worked a treat. Cheers!