New Discussion

Re: Disable configuration backup warning

SOLVED
Go to solution
Franc van de Westelaken_1
Frequent Advisor

Disable configuration backup warning

Hi,

using oneview 3.10.04. Since we don't have a SCP or SFTP server and are also taking daily backups of the OneView appliance itself I haven't enabled and configured the configuration backup. However, now I'm getting a warning that a backup hasn't been taken for more than 50 hours. I also can't clear this warning so it constantly appears on the dashnoard.

Is it possible to diable this warning altogether?

Frank.

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Can you provide a screenshot of the message?  The user account you have logged in with, is it part of the Infrastructure Administrator role?  You cannot clear appliance alerts if your account (or directory group) doesn't have Infrastructure Administrator role.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Frequent Advisor

Hi,

see screenshot. I'm logging on using the administrator account.

clear.PNG

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

So, if you are actually taking appliance backups (Settings -> Backup -> Create Backup) every day, then the message won't be displayed.  Why is it in the first place?  Well, we have had quite a number of customer scenarios where they ran into a critical issue with their appliance, which required a restore, only to find out that no one was actually taking a backup of their appliance.

Now, if you are indeed backing up your appliance every 24 hours, please make sure you are following the documented method of backing up your appliance (UI or REST API) and NOT using the hypervisor snapshot method.  We do not support hypervisor snapshots for backup while the appliance is powered on.  You can power off your appliance to grab a snapshot if you wish to use that method.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Frequent Advisor

Hi,

we are using VEEAM to backup our environment. Indeed, that is a backup while the system is running.

We don't have a SFTP or SCP server to do the backups to and are only using OneView for managing our vSphere hosts (bios settings). So it would be realy nice to be able to disable this warning because now I always have 1 warning on the dashboard.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

We do not support VEEAM backups.  The appliance backup must be from one of the supported methods I outlined.  You do not need an SCP/SFTP server for backup.  Yes, you do for automation purposes.  While I'm not sponsoring BitVise, they provide a very simple and easy to use SSH Server that is a compatible target to automate.  I use it in my developer lab for API testing.  Alternatively, you can also use something like our PowerShell Library, and the New-HPOVBackup Cmdlet to automate external to the appliance (Which would not generate the message you see if the backup is successful within 24 hours.)

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Frequent Advisor

ok, I'm going with the powershell route then.

Thanks!