1752689 Members
5283 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Firmware baseline not updating all components

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Firmware baseline not updating all components

I have created and uploaded a custom SPP (using the 2019.03 SPP) for my Gen10 DL and BL managed servers in Oneview (v4.20.02).  This of course generates "profile is inconsistent" alerts.  After I execute "update from template" the DL servers will return an alert stating "One or more firmware components are inconsistent with the specified firmware baseline".  Turns out that all firmware components were upgraded except the Smart Array P408i-a SR Gen10 Embedded RAID controller.  If I mount the same ISO with ILO virtual media and boot from it, it upgrades all firmware including the array controller.  As a test, I uploaded the the full 2019.03 SPP and applied that via the Oneview profile with the same result - RAID controller does not upgrade.  Tried reapplying the profile a second time but still no luck.  I can't find anything within Oneview to indicate why that one component gets skipped.    I do firmware only updates in my profiles. These are all VM host servers.

19 REPLIES 19
MV3
HPE Pro

HI kerry,

Good Day!

Can you please try Power cycle the server and wait for the POST to complete, and reapply the server profile to update the firmware again and check.

Cheers,

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

I tried that.  Didn't work.  I created and uploaded a new custom SPP based on the latest 2019.09 SPP.  Applied that to a test server via the template/profile and it worked.   I'll roll that out during our next firmware update cycle which will be 6-9 months.

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

I went ahead and created and tested a new template on 2 servers with the 2019.09 spp and it did the same thing.  I thn tested a 3rd by mounting the spp iso through virtual media and it worked.  I did however notice that instead of making one pass through it made 2.  The 2nd time around I saw this.  I can't find cp039732.zip in the spp so have no idea what it is but assume is the array controller firmware

spp.jpg

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

I'm still fighting this issue.  Anyone else seeing this problem?  I have multiple instances of Oneview and I get the same results in each using the same custom spp iso.    

BrettPowell

Did you ever resolve this issue? I am dealing with the exact same issue with the Service Pack for ProLiant version 2019.12.0.

I can update the firmware by mounting the .iso manually and updating it but it won't do it through the profile with the same exact baseline.

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

No I haven't.  In fact my next step was to try the 2019.12.0 SPP but looks like you saved me the trouble.  Guess I'll have to open a support case.

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

Kerry Quillen
Regular Advisor

So the workaround for that bulletin says:

1. Delete all Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) releases from HPE OneView.
  2. Add back the latest SPP first.
  3. Add the other SPPs and run the server profile apply operation using any of the SPPs.

If I do that is it not going to make all of my profiles inconsistent and require them to be updated again?  I just finished a round of firmware updates on all of my servers.  Don't really want to go through that again right now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep (same problem).

The December update was fine.

Latest OneView (5.2) and latest SPP (May 2020) blade updates fail when applied via profile.

Case opened, HP want logs (not going to happen). 

Will advise any resolution.