1752793 Members
6105 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE Smart Update Tools OnDemand Deployment

Eriksen1
Advisor

HPE Smart Update Tools OnDemand Deployment

I am trying to write a script/solution for updating windows servers with HPSUT.

Right now I have this routine:

1) Administrator updates server profile for iLO with the server profile template that has a new Firmware Baseline

2) Administrator logs on the windows server and runs a deployment from SCCM that does the following:

* Moves computer object to an OU with no inheritance (to allow install of all device IDs)

* hpsut /stage

* hpsut /deploy

* Moves computer object back

* It then polls hpsut /status for NodeStatus. If it is SuccessRebootRequired, the script does hpsut /activate, creates a scheduled task that does hpsut /verify on startup to verify activation.

This seemed to work fine for SPP 2016.04.

However, 2016.10 seems to reinstall HPSUT 1.6.5.0 even if it is installed, and also sometimes the firmware install returns "Failed". 

Basically I need help to find the ideal ondemand script that can handle error situations where the firmware install fails or the server is e.g. booted prematurely

Another solution I could think of it is this: 

1) Administrator updates server profile for iLO with the server profile template that has a new Firmware Baseline

2) Administrator logs on the windows server and runs a deployment from SCCM that does the following:

* Moves computer object to an OU with no inheritance (to allow install of all device IDs)

* hpsut /set mode=AutoDeployReboot

* Poll for hpsut /status until NodeStatus is Success, SuccessRebootRequired or Failed

* Moves computer object back

* Scheduled task on boot that moves mode back to OnDemand after activation/verification is done.

Am I missing something? :\

3 REPLIES 3
Eriksen1
Advisor

Nobody did anything similar?

I got this working, but with some caveats I'm still working through.

Force installing SPP 2016.04.0 over and over seems to work fine. Staging works, deploy works, and then it the machine reboots on its own with /deployreboot and runs a scheduled task that removes itself after a successful /verify and /activate.

Going from 2016.04.0 to 2016.10.0 seems to work also, but not always. HPE SUT, even if at 1.6.5.0, REINSTALLS itself, which causes the /deploy to sometimes "hang" at "Installing" in OneView, despite the baseline actually being activated as indicated by hpsut /status.

I think this has to do with the /deploy action ending early when hpsut reinstalls itself. I somehow need to do some polling on hpsut /status after /deploy to make sure that I don't move on to /deployreboot and whatever before the status is Installed, Installing or InstalledPendingReboot, or hpsut /status returns that another ondemand instance is already running.

Another caveat with this approach is that if HPE decides to change the return text in a future SPP release the deploy firmware script will fail.

Eriksen1
Advisor

Okay, so, for a stage and deploy to 2016.10.0 I get this in hpsut.log, which I assume is why it fails to sync that the install is done and gets stuck at "installing" despite being in "installedpendingreboot" mode.

"Failed to sync data from HP SUT namespace to OV namespace".

Think it has to do with the reinstall that occurs for HPSUT 1.6.5.0 when deployign 2016.10.0.

Anyone familiar with it?

Eriksen1
Advisor

Aha. I found something. When I do hpsut /status, the "System Update Manager" has been set to "OS Administrator" and is no longer HPE OneView? Is this why it gets stuck at "Installing" and cannot sync with HPE OneView?

https://community.hpe.com/t5/HPE-OneView/OneView-2-00-02-0219211-and-2016-04-SPP/td-p/6877202 is a similar case.

My server is a ProLiant DL360 G9, with OneView 3.0 and 2016.10.0 SPP.