108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Looking for a tool like Oneview, but different

SOLVED
Go to solution
N1375
Occasional Advisor

Looking for a tool like Oneview, but different

Hi all, I have received a task I'm not sure I can complete.

I work for a firm that manages multiple servers, in different networks. They are not connected at all, and we are basically looking for a place to manage the ILO's of every single server we work with.

We don't really want to put our ILO's open to the internet, as that isn't a great idea security-wise.
Anyone knows a solution? We basically just want one page where we can manage all the ILO's, and read out the data.

Kind regards

N1375

N1375
9 REPLIES 9
R-G
Advisor

I haven't looked at it but isn't there some sort of iLO amplifier pack thing that can pump data up to InfoSIte?
Enables you to get server data into InfoSite (opposed to just storage)

N1375
Occasional Advisor

Hey R-G

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into iLO Amplifier Pack.

We kinda also need a tool so we can have one page where we can manage all servers connected to the ILO's, so we can turn them on / off all at once etc..

Kind regards

N1375

N1375
R-G
Advisor

Sounds like you are going into the realm of needing intersite connectivity to do things like that.

HPE have a OneView global dashboard product - I am again ignorant of it's capabilities, so perhaps someone else can chime in. Presumably it works with a local OneView installation at each site and they all plumb into the global dashboard.

If you do have secure connectivity between sites, I believe Oneview can manage remote servers but this will not work well if there is high latency or a crappy connection. I've heard people just do remote server monitoring in these cases as monitoring will not really be affected by such things.

Sorry that wasn't very helpful. We don't have this challange for remote sites.

N1375
Occasional Advisor

Hi there

The problem is that the sites aren't allowed to be connected.
They are different businesses that don't even know the existance of one another.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Kind regards
N1375

N1375
R-G
Advisor

Ah okay, then I guess you are looking for an MSP style RMM offering?

Usually cloud based with an agent installed on prem servers.
Not heard of one that talks to iLOs but surely there is. Architeclually that would likely require something else installed on prem to talk to each iLO/iDRAC and then report back to your hosted product.
Please do share if you find something.

N1375
Occasional Advisor

We already use a tool to monitor all devices in the networks. We can already access them all from one view, but we were looking for a possibility to have one platform, so we don't have to authenticate each time we want to connect. Just one dashboard with all in it.

N1375
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Either iLO Amplifier Pack or HPE OneView requires a local appliance to be deployed.  InfoSight for Servers (part of iLO Aplifier Pack) could give you the "cloud" view of the servers.  But it does not offer management features.  It is a monitoring and health reporting portal.  If you want distributed management features, then each site will need to either be managed seperately, or connected.  HPE OneView Global Dashboard requires connectivity between the sites in order to connect to each HPE OneView instance.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Andrew_R
Advisor

Hi  N1375 

HPE SIm may be worth looking at as I work for an MSP that provides hosting along with support of legacy onprem customer equipment which consists of multiple DC's and firewalled networks and it works very well as a single view of all Ilo's across our and the various customers estates. It provides the functionality that you are looking for as you can manage all devices discovered by it and you can scan various different subnets. 

Hope this helps 

Andrew 

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

I would think you would want to establish a OneView instance with each customer and then have a OneView global dashboard at your location to see them all.  Trying to control all of them from one application might open you up to legal consequences if a setting designed for one sight accidentally gets pushed to the others.  So, tread carefully.