4089 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Monitoring enclosures / Interconnects / Network

GustavoAyala
Advisor

Monitoring enclosures / Interconnects / Network

I'm using OV 3.0 in monitoring mode.
I have two c7000 G3 Enclosures, BL460c Gen8 and 4 HP VC FlexFabric 10Gb/24-Port Module (2 in each enclosure)
From there I have uplinks to two Brocade/Connectrix FC switches and an EMC VNX 5400 as the SAN.

After I've added the enclosures, all gets discoveres automagically up and until the interconnects.
But the VC interconnects appear as "State : Inventory" and Uplink Ports and Downlink ports are all empty.
I was hoping at least downlinks to the blades are discovered automatically.
The networks configured in VCM ( FW 4.31 ) are not discovered or imported ( SAN Fabrics and Ethernet Networks ).

I suppose uplink networks must be configured manually, but downlinks and all networks configured in VCM shouldn't de discovered/imported read-only automatically in monitored mode ?

And for the uplinks, I don't have brocade san advisor installed now nor ever, but will it help if I install it and point OV to it ?

It would be great if I can somehow view utilization bandwidth for uplinks and downlinks to the blades across time.

I guess I can get that by SNMP pooling somehow, but fine tuning SNMP OID names for the rght VC port would be time consuming and error prone.

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Monitoring mode is strictly for inventory and device health, not config health.  VCM is needed to perform that operation.  If you wanted configuration management, you would need to migrate your enclosure to OneView.  3.0 now offers online migration, so it reduces downtime for migration purposes.

Brocade SAN Network Advisor (aka BNA) is only needed for HPE StoreServer storage management.  We only require the Professional version, which is free and does not require a license.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

GustavoAyala
Advisor

No, that's ok, I don't want configuration management in OV, only monitoring. I just don't know how deep or detailed the monitoring goes as far as networks, downlinks and uplinks. As far as I've seen, not to deep.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

What you see is similar to what we provide with the legacy HPSIM tool.

What is preventing you from using OneView to manage your infrastructure?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

GustavoAyala
Advisor

That's exactly where I'm coming from and what I have now monitoring production, HP SIM.
I'm currently just trying OV. A lot of improvements but some shortcomings.
I have a lot of critical P2000G3, so no dice. I can't replace HP SIM with OV completely.
As far as management goes, I guess besides licencing issues ( $$$ ) I don't really feel confortable OV VM to manage VC, but that's just probably me.