108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: understanding oneview QOS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jundi
Advisor

understanding oneview QOS

Hi Gents, i couldn't make out the differences between the following, what do they exactly mean under server profiles ?

Requested bandwidth

Allocated Bandwidth

Maximum Bandwidth

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Requested Bandwidth is documented in the HP OneView Server Profile Help, while Minimum and Maximum Bandwidth is documented in the Create Networks Help section.  There are differences between the values:

• Requested Bandwidth - The value a Server Administrator will set within the Server Profile Connection being defined, prior to creating or modifying the Server Profile.
  • Allocated Bandwidth - The value that is subsequently applied by HP OneView once all defined/mapped Allocated Connection Bandwidth is taken into account.  For instance, lets say you need to create 4 Connections, all are Ethernet, and will eventually map to FlexNIC 1a, 1b, 2a, and 2b (which is derived from the HP FlexFabric 10Gb 554flb adapter).  You set Connections 1 and 2 (which will map to FlexNICs 1a and 2a) Request Bandwidth to 10Gb.  You then add the remaining 2 Connections (3 and 4) that map to FlexNICs 1b and 2b.  You set the Requested Bandwidth to 2Gb.  You will recieve an error that the combined bandwidth exceeds 10Gb.  Why?  Well, the 554flb supports 10Gb Maximum Bandwidth per physical parent port (i.e. FlexNIC 1 or FlexNIC 2.)  The subinterfaces are "slices" of the parent port, and their combined Request and Allocated Bandwidth cannot be more than 10Gb in our case.  So you need to adjust Connections 1 and 2 to a Requested value lower than 10Gb.
  • Maximum Bandwidth - This is set at the Network Resource you create.  This means that when you configure the Requested Bandwidth for a connection cannot exceed the value within the Network you are assigning to the Connection.

I hope this helps.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jundi
Advisor

Can you correct me if i'm wrong please Chris

so Requested Bandwidth is what you set on the server profile

Allocated Bandwidth : if a NIC has an allocated bandwith of 2 GB and the maximum bandwitdth is 10 GB, One view will allow the NIC to exceed the usage of 2GB in case it required more resources than 2GB and as long as there are siffecient resources ? however when there aren't suffecient resources it will limit the connection to 2GB ?

Is it correct ?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

That is partially correct.  While it is not as intuitive as it should be, the Maxmimum Bandwidth you assign to a Network Resource (with the exception of FC bandwidth) defines how much a Connection could potentially consume if no other Connection is transmitting, or there is available bandwidth to consume.  Unfortunately, there is no way to see if this is happening, other than to look at the Interconnet Port Advanced Statistics via the REST API, or to use an SNMP management tool to walk the SNMP agent on the VC Interconnect Modules.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jundi
Advisor

What is the FC exception ? isn't the available bandwidth shared between the ethernet and FC at the same time ?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The exception is that FC does not have Mix/Max bandwidth. The Requested and Allocated are static and will always be static; no busting to consume more available bandwidth.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Jundi
Advisor

Thank you for the very helpfull answers !

even though the maximum bandwidtth in my FC is 8GB i'm limited to only 2.5 in the attached configuration ? and i should be planning for more allocation since it's not shared between the FC and the ethernet ?

Jundi
Advisor

Hey Chris, can you guide me to the document which i can read to comprehend this completely please ?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

The OneView User Guide doesn't describe any of this, and I'm follow up with our docs team to get that fixed.

This is documented in the Online Help.  You can either access it on your appliance, or use the following links to access it on our hpe.com site:

Server Profile Connections

Create or Edit Network

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo