8975 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Updating firmware baseline

kmn3686
Occasional Contributor

Updating firmware baseline

Howdy,

Just looking for some feedback more than anything. We have about 100 or so ProLiant dl380 gen9 servers and need to update the firmware. Using OneView and all servers are using the same server profile template.

When updating firmware baseline - would anyone recommend one method over another, and if so why?

1 - update the existing server profile template with new firmware baseline and apply updated firmware using existing template?
2 - Create a new template, copy existing template, attach new firmware baseline and use newly create template to update firmware?

Anyone recommend one method over another, or is it simply... six to one, half dozen to another.

2 REPLIES 2
SYWNIAC
HPE Pro

Hello kmn3686,

We would recommend to update the existing server profile template with new firmware baseline and apply updated firmware using existing template?

We would not like to create a new template, copy existing template, attach new firmware baseline and use newly create template to update firmware. This would simply consume more time and the preferred and actual one as perdocumentation is the the first options. 

Reference:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c05270583

Hope this helps you

Thank You!

I am an HPE employee

I am an Hewlett Packard Enterprise Employee

Accept or Kudo

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

However, one reason why you would want to copy a server profile template would be to test out the baseline before rolling it out to all systems.  You can do the following:

1. Copy the existing Server Profile Template.
  2. Set the baseline to the new firmware bundle.
  3. Go to 1 server profile and change its associated Server Profile Template (SPT), and save.  Just that one profile will be out of compliance.
  4. Perform Update from Template under the Actions menu of the Server Profile.
  5. Verify that the baseline/SPP works for your systems and their OS.
  6. If successful, update the original SPT to reference the new baseline/firmware bundle.
  7. Perform Update from Template in the Actions menu of the non-compliant Server Profiles.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo