108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using iLO from the console failing - proxy server is refusing connections

SOLVED
Go to solution
hayner
Occasional Contributor

Using iLO from the console failing - proxy server is refusing connections

Tried some searches but wasn't finding anything.. Anyone ever see this error?

We are trying to use iLO from the console (via ESXi) directly, and getting the "The proxy server is refusing connections." error. Don't readily see anywhere that I can get to the firefox config settings. OneView version is HPOneView-NoSSH_2.00.02_219211, running on a standalone DL160 runing esxi6.0u2.

Thanks!

proxy.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello @hayner, and welcome to the HPE OneView Community Forums.

Unfortunately, you cannot use the console of the appliance to connect to remote devices, like the iLO Remote Console.  We also prohibit users from uploading and downloading files (i.e. Appliance Backup) from the console as well.  Is there a reason why you are trying to use the console to connect to the IRC of a managed server?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

hayner
Occasional Contributor

Chris-

Thanks for getting back to me. The idea here was to use the iLOs on a totally unrouted network along with OV, and the ESXi hosting server bridging. I believe that dual-homing the OV server is not supported so this was an idea for managing without having to be in the datacenter and physically connecting to the iLO switch. 

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

How would you expect to recieve alerts if the HPE OneView appliance is on an unroutable network?  Conversely, why would you issolate your iLO's from the rest of your management environment?

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

hayner
Occasional Contributor

Hey I'm not saying this is an ideal setup :) Unfortunately not my decision to make.

They are thinking of it as a security feature.. isolating the network-level access iLOs from production as if it were an offline serial connection. All the iLOs are on there and when they make changes they just jack into the switch directly. 

PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

I have the same problem with version 8.30 right now...

Something I don't understand is, why is there a link to "Launch Console" or even the iLO IP address itself when that funktion returns a "Proxy server is refusung..." error?

Maybe I understood tha Oneview principle wrong. Am I not supposed to sit in front of the Oneview server screen and manage the whole bunch of HPE servers? Do I really need an extra PC or server to get access to all functions indirectly via the Oneview server??

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
PDP-Fan
Valued Contributor

Ok, I got the answer myself.

Everything works fine when you connect to the Oneview appliance from another PC/browser. It seems that certain functions can not be used while sitting directly in front of the appliance/server screen.

"If it seems illogical... you just don't have enough information"
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

The Kiosk browser is meant for completing first time setup, and provide a console to do minimal configuration.  Not all features are available from the kiosk browser.  As I stated before, the browser is locked down and only allows certain operations.  It does not allow uploads, downloads or iLO remote console access.  You need to remotely access OneView from a remote web browser in order to access all user authorized features, including the ability to connect to iLO's.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

sfrench-quilter
Valued Contributor

Most people who want to increase their security posture by segregating out of band (ILO, etc) network from other networks would use a firewall and lock down access, or alternatively run a completely seperate network with remote access capabilities and external connectivity with seperate VPN solution for a small group of engineers or whatever.

Using the local console of the OneView appliance to try and manage your out of band access just isn't a good idea, and I presume actually uses your in-band network to get to in the first place.