2906 Online
108895 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Simplivity Node Expansion

SOLVED
Go to solution
Saqibd

Simplivity Node Expansion

I have a 2 Node Simplivity Cluster with resource of 512GB RAM, 60TB HDD and 150 GHz Processor (Single Processor Each Node).

I have enough Processor and HDD Resrouce available, but ran out of RAM and can not perform tasks like Cloning and restoration of VM's due to lack of RAM.

Now, if I expand the RAM ( I can expand my RAM to another 256 GM as I have 4 slots available on each Node) It will work for me, but what if I add an Additional Node and become a 3 Node Cluster, will it give me additional resource (Like increase of RAM) or just increase the availability of nodes?

Anybody care to explain.

Thanks in Advance

3 REPLIES 3
Aditya_A
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Simplivity Node Expansion

Hi,

Adding another node to your cluster will majorly work towards increasing availability of your cluster. It will also provide you an option to decommission Arbiter or continue with it.

If you deploy new node, you will have an increase in CPU, Memory and Storage which will contribute to cluster pool, hence your current issue of having less memory will be resolved.

Its worth mentioning that new nodes should match specs of existing nodes in the cluster, otherwise a new node having different Storage size will lead to imbalanced IOPS, but will still work. (Page 56 for reference: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00117319en_us)

You can also just expand your available memory on both nodes as SimpliVity supports expansion of Memory and CPU without the need for redeployment and this will be more cost-effective solution for you if you're looking just for more RAM in the cluster.
Here's link to datasheet for SimpliVity expansion service: https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00068876enw

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Saqibd

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Saqibd,

Perfect! 

We are extremely glad to know your concern has been addressed. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo